Question about using an external drive.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gl4662, Sep 1, 2009.

1. gl4662 macrumors member

I will be upgrading my hard drive to an SSD, and doing a clean install of SL, my question is, is there any way I can mve my itunes folder to an external drive, and set all my itunes dowloads to go onto the external drive so I can preserve space and life of my ssd? Or will i have to re-import all my itunes stuff to the external?

2. p3ncil macrumors regular

Launch itunes -> press "cmd" + "," -> look for advanced tab -> "Itunes Music folder location"

You should know what to do from there on :D

3. gl4662 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, so should I copy my folder or move it through i tunes like you described before I do a clean install? Then I shouldbe able to just download i tunes and link it up with my old folder?

Thanks!

4. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

You should just clone your HD onto the SSD. Then erase your HD after installing the SSD. Then you will be able to put your iTunes folder wherever you want.;)

5. p3ncil macrumors regular

I'll move them to a external drive first in case things turns for the worst etc.. (you deleted them on accident or something). (I mean you don't want to re-rip your entire library again)

There are basically two options for you.

First is to carry an external drive everywhere you go if you have a large itunes library.

Or

The second option. Run two harddrives on your macbook like what I'm doing right now.

In your case, one would be the SSD, which runs the main programs amnd OSes and the other harddrive would just be used for Itunes,iphoto (and so on and so forth) library

6. gl4662 thread starter macrumors member

thank you guys.

How would I run two harddrives?

7. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

One on your Mac, one externally.

8. p3ncil macrumors regular

Two harddrives internally?

Open up your mac. Remove the optical bay drive, and replace it with your harddrive.

As mentioned in the link previously provided in my post.