Question about using an iphone initially ordered for someone else

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by M1Lance, Jun 21, 2010.

1. M1Lance macrumors newbie

Hey,

I recently made a thread about how I accidently cancelled my order but thankfully I got extremely extremely lucky since I found out my friend ordered an extra phone getting shipped to him that he is willing to sell to me!

The only potential problem here is that when he ordered the phone, he ordered it as an upgrade on an already existing phone under his name. As long as he gives me the phone boxed and sealed will this matter if I'm trying to use the phone for an added line on an already existing account (obviously different from the one he ordered it with)?

Thanks!

2. r2b2007 macrumors regular

I had same question they said do no do it. The phone is already designated with some information that ties it to the phone number it was ordered for.

3. M1Lance thread starter macrumors newbie

Really?

If this is true, then how are so many people able to hawk their phones off on ebay after receiving them?

4. dhy8386 macrumors 6502a

Its not true. I sold an upgrade i did last year.

5. M1Lance thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome, thanks!

So glad I won't have to wait in any lines at the crack of dawn! :D

6. r2b2007 macrumors regular

I have no reason to question those with more experience my information came from a phone call to AT&T so take it for what it's worth.

7. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I think your friend might have a problem here though. They aren't going to sell him 2 phone's at the fully subsidized price for one line upgrade. He's going to have to pay full price for the 2nd one. If he's expecting to get the 199/299 price for both of them, then no, this idea will not work.