Question About Using Another Persons Upgrade (Verizon)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JGC1986, Oct 8, 2011.

1. JGC1986 macrumors regular

JGC1986

My parents have their own family plan on Verizon, and I am on my own family plan with my fiance on Verizon as well. My mom has an upgrade on her line available, and I want to know if its possible for her to get the iPhone 4s, then switch right back to her feature phone, then give me the iPhone to activate on my account. Can this be done with no changes to her account, except of course extending her contract length? I have used their upgrade before, but I was on their plan since I was in college, not my own.

I really hope it could work. I am tired of my Droid 2, unplugging it in the morning and sending a few texts, to have it on 70% battery at noon. My upgrade is not until Feb 12 2012. I HAVE called Verizon before and they said I could upgrade early for a "small fee" but could only do it over the phone and its a one time thing. Chances of that happening again are slim I am guessing.

2. DarkJello macrumors member

From my understanding part of getting the subsidized price is paying for a data plan. So if she's on a feature phone you'd have to pay for a data plan that wouldn't be getting used.

3. phearx macrumors regular

Wrong, as someone who works for these companies, I can guarantee you it can be done. She will have to change her plan initially but once she switches her phone back to the feature phone, by calling up Verizon, they can remove the data if asked to. They may pro rate the data for however long the iPhone is on her line.

4. JGC1986 thread starter macrumors regular

JGC1986

Cool, thanks. So it can stay active on her line for a few hours then be switched?

5. climber20 macrumors member

Yes. I do this exact thing every year with no issues. I have 3 people on my family plan, including me - the other 2 people prefer simple feature phones, so I use their upgrades on my line every year. You can upgrade, get your phone, and make the switch later that day through the Verizon help line. Make sure you have the MEID number from the old feature phone so you can reactivate it once you switch.

6. JGC1986 thread starter macrumors regular

JGC1986

But the persons upgrade I am taking is on a different account

7. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Digging this up (two days is a long time here ;) ) but if you have a My Verizon online account, there's an option where you can use somebody's upgrade early. Worth checking out.