Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
I've read all the stuff about Dropbox and have the apps on both my iMac and my iPad. Now how do I get it to work?

Example:

I have a paper written on my iPad in Pages it is about 1500 words long and I want to work on it on my iMac. How do I get it from Pages on my iPad to Pages on my iMac? I can find no instructions on how to do this.

Thanks for any help.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I don't have iWork on my iPad, but you open dropbox and add a file from there then it will be available anywhere you can access the net.

trsnrtr

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2009
Central Illinois, USA
Yes. I have dropbox on my iMac and store files on there in my dropbox folder that I want universal access to. For example, I have a few spreadsheet files that I need access to on a regular basis away from home.

So, with dropbox on my iMac, my iPad, and my Touch, I can access and edit those spreadsheets from anywhere that I have internet access. It's kind of like cloud computing as the files are synced to an online dropbox site.

OmegaRed1723

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
The Waste
Unfortunately, Pages is not Dropbox compatible (or vice-versa depending on how you look at things). Bottom line is that there is no way to save a document created in pages to Dropbox. There are a couple workarounds, but one of the easier ones involves the GoodReader app.

In Pages, you can email a copy of the document to yourself. Then, using the GoodReader app you can retrieve that file by connecting to your mail server. Lastly, after also connecting GoodReader to your Dropbox account, you can sync the Pages document to your Dropbox.

It's a pain in the butt to set things up, but works well enough on subsequent syncs. That said, it's a huge error on Apple's part not allowing third-party app integration with Pages.

DctrJ

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2010
Dropbox works great with Pages!

Pages (and all iWork apps) works great with Dropbox!
Go to the link below to setup a free WebDAV service then in one of your iWork apps just setup the WebDAV as instructed. You can retrieve documents and save as Word, Pages or pdf's. I use it all the time with pages.

http://dropdav.com/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.