Question about using macbook pro with a monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dkillgo, Jan 18, 2012.

1. dkillgo macrumors member

Hi all,

I just bought a Mini Display Port to HDMI receiver so I can use my macbook pro (Early 2011) with my monitor. It is not an Apple monitor.

I have a few questions. In display options, I turned on mirroring. When I choose the new resolution for my monitor (1920x1200), it doesn't seem to change anything. Is this because I am only able to mirror, and that resolution is not supported on the macbook pro? Is it possible to disable mirroring, and only have my video output displayed on my monitor while plugged into my monitor? This should solve the resolution problem, but I cannot find any option to do so.

Also, is there any way that I can have the macbook pro hooked up to the monitor and have it closed at the same time? I am going to be using an external mouse and keyboard. I looked briefly in system preferences, but was not able to find anything that would allow me to use my monitor with the laptop closed.

Thanks for the help.

2. simsaladimbamba

System Preferences > Displays >> Arrangement >>> Mirror Displays (but know, that the display with the lowest resolution determines the maximum resolution used on both, thus one display will have a lower than native resolution, except when both displays have the same native resolution)
    [​IMG]
    Thus you need to disable MIRROR DISPLAYS.

3. dkillgo thread starter macrumors member

4. bdodds1985, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012

bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

when I close mine I mirror the display. Haven't had any problems so far.
    as long as you have an external keyboard an mouse can't you just drag the bar in the arrangement tab from one display to the other?

----------

so if my mbp has 1680x1050 then that's all i can use on my 42" tv? what about a 1080p option?

5. simsaladimbamba

If both monitors have the same resolution, then that is fine, but if one the external display has a higher resolution than the internal, the the resolution of the external will be lowered to the internal resolution. But as you close the lid, the external monitor will use its native resolution and the internal gets shut off, as you operate your Mac in Clamshell Mode.

Yes, you can.

6. dkillgo thread starter macrumors member

Camshell is perfect. I'm glad I was able to get this to work.

Just FYI for anyone who has a similar setup: I went and bought a Belkin KVM switch (keyboard, video, mouse) switch today so I only need to use 1 keyboard and 1 mouse to control both my laptop and my computer. It works great. All I have to do is press a small (wireless) button on my desk (this can be assigned to keystrokes also) and everything switches from my desktop (windows) to the macbook pro. Its very useful and I was surprised that it worked with my Windows/Mac combination.