question about using Mail with gmail

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by denvernuggs, Jan 20, 2009.

1. denvernuggs macrumors newbie

This may or may not be a stupid question, but I just started using mail to check my gmail inbox, but I cannot seem to find a way to use this successfully with my iphone. The problem is when I check my email using mail instead of logging into my gmail account, it doesn't mark it as unread on my gmail account so my iphone is loaded with "new" emails I have already checked through mail.

So I do not know if it is possible to make mail and gmail account sync up thus fixing my problem with all these checked emails coming in as new on my iphone, is there anyway to do this?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

3. denvernuggs thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, but now i'm having trouble sending emails. do i still use smtp.gmail.com:(myemail) for the outgoing server?

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yeah, IMAP and POP3 are just for incoming mail and which one you use shouldn't affect your ability to send. Why they would do so is a mystery to me.

5. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

IMAP keeps your mailboxes in sync so if you delete something in MAIL it will delete it on your iphone and on your web application, if you send something it will mark it sent across the board and so on......

so when setting up your Gmail account dont let it set up automatically do it yourself and set it up with IMAP. there is a nice tutorial on Gmail.com about setting it up on the iphone and on the MAIL app.

*Edit* oh and make sure you go to your account online then go into settings and enable IMAP

6. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

you dont need to put the myemail after the server name

7. denvernuggs thread starter macrumors newbie

got it all figured out, thanks i appreciate the responses