Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Lake

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
First off, this site is a great Mac community and I’ve always found real solutions here. The problem I have perhaps isn't even a problem at all; I’m just looking for some help with using multiple itunes libraries.

I have two libraries, one on my eMac for songs, and another on an external hard drive for movies. My question is, when it comes time to upgrade to another computer, how hard or easy is it going to be to move everything over into one library?

I've tried moving a movie on my eMac over to my external itunes library but couldn't get it to be recongized. So any suggestions? Thanks.

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
I thought that holding down the Option key when launching iTunes (the newest version) resulted in a prompt for one to select a library. Without using a third party utility for selecting between libraries, I think this would be the best way.

---

Sorry. Rereading your original post shows that I didn't take the time to understand what you were asking.

----
I can answer part of the question: moving libraries. Moving libraries is pretty easy. Just grab from User > Music > iTunes the following:
iTunes library (file)
iTunes music (folder)
iTunes music library.xml (file)

Put these three things in the corresponding place on the new computer and it should work fine.

As for combining libraries, I'd simply launch iTunes with one of the two libraries open and drag everything from the other library into it. I don't know if this would be the best way.

Mr. Lake

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
thanks. i figured it was something really simple, but i just didn't know exactly what i needed to do. that was a big help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.