Question about using my 3G until launch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sulpfiction, Sep 30, 2011.

1. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Im looking to sell my iphone 4 this weekend and use my 3GS until lauch day of iphone 5.

My plan was to backup my iphone 4 in itunes and then leave itunes alone until the 5 comes out and then restore from 4 backup.

My question is, can I just pop out my sim after back up, throw it in the 3GS and be on my way? I don't have to plug into itunes if I don't want to, do I? I understand my email won't be set up, my apps won't be there, OS won't be updated, etc, but it will work, won't it?

Or do you recommend plugging into itunes and restoring the 3GS from the 4 backup? I'm just don't want to screw anything up by not having enough memory in the 3GS to hold the entire backup.

Im just confused thinking about it this morning. What would be the best way to go about this

Thanks guys!

2. DeaconGTG macrumors member

As a warning, you won't be able to just swap sim cards because the iPhone 4 uses a microsim. You'll need to get a new sim or get a converter.

But once you get that taken care of, the phone will work fine. If you don't feel comfortable messing with your iPhone 4 backup, you can still sync the 3g with iTunes. The iPhone 4 backup will still be there waiting for your new phone.

3. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I think it would need to be activated. You could try it though. Or if you still have your IP4 plug in your 3gs and after it is working back up your 4

4. sulpfiction thread starter macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Good call...Wasn't even thinking about the sim...Im gonna head over to AT& T to grab one before I do anything.

5. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

Thats pretty smart, sell it while its value is still great, i mean it would still have a good value afterwords but things tend to drop when something new is out and about!