Question about using software update in macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kaiPhone19, Oct 31, 2008.

1. kaiPhone19 macrumors newbie

Hi

I just want to ask if it is normal for the checking of new software using software update in system preferences takes long time to complete?

From my previous use of it, it just takes a couple of minutes to check for any update and the downloading ang installation is the one that takes much time to complete.

But now, checking only for updates took me hours and it does not complete so I have to cancel it. I cannot check for new updates.

Is there a problem with my macbook? Kindly please advise.

Thanks a lot!!

2. dckj95 macrumors member

i dont think theres anything 'wrong' with your macbook but maybe the software update just froze up that time and it could not complete. checking for updates takes usually about a few minutes for me.
    does this happen to you everytime?

3. pol0001 macrumors 6502

pol0001

Repair your disk permissions and try again. That may help.

4. kaiPhone19 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

Yes this happens to me now everytime. One sample is that when I open itunes, it is saying that there is a new software which is 8.1 that I can download and upgrade. When I chose to download and upgrade my itunes, software update pops up. then it took hours for it to complete (progress bar to become full), but at the end it says that my software is up to date and there are no other updates as well that I can check and install.

When I checked itunes if it has been updates, it is still 8.0.

For the repair of disk permission, could you please let me know on how to do it?

Thanks a lot for your help!

5. hmai18 macrumors 6502

Open Disk Utility. Click on your boot volume and in the "First Aid" tab, you'll find options to verify and repair your permissions.