Question about using Time Machine with MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by misterneums, Jul 30, 2011.

1. misterneums macrumors 6502

So, I just picked up a 13" Base MBA. I also picked up a 750 GB external hard drive to hold my iPad/iTunes media. I am wondering, what is an ideal allocation of space for a Time Machine partition? Although I've owned a Macbook for over 3 years--I never made use of the Time Machine feature and I'm thinking it might be a good time to start.

2. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Depends how much churn there is in your data. If none or very little, something the same size (even slightly smaller) than your internal drive would be adequate. Data movement on my system is about 1-1.5GB per day, and I use a TM disk that's 1.5x my internal drive, which seems to be about the right size. Any more than that, 2x the size of the internal would probably be better.

3. KPOM macrumors G5

I've had about 60GB of data on my MacBook Airs since I had a 500MB Time Capsule, and I've never used more than half of it. My Sparsebundle file for my 2010 MacBook Air that I used from March - July is about 180GB large. I have kept it on there just in case, but created a new file for my 2011.

4. misterneums thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info guys. I think I'm going to go with a 200 GB partition for time machine.

5. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I'd say 1.5x the size of your MBA's SSD, particularly if it's on the fuller side.

6. flynz4 macrumors 68040

If I understand your direction... you are going to store your media, plus your backup on the same drive? Don't you think that defeats the purpose of having a backup? A drive failure destroys both at the same time.

I would suggest you keeping your primary data on a different drive from your backup. I would pick up a cheap 1TB drive and use that for backup of both your MBA SSD plus your media drive.

/Jim

7. misterneums thread starter macrumors 6502

Certain media. Obviously I don't want to put my entire iTunes library on my SSD. I guess the main point of the backups would be to keep my applications backed up, certain files that go along with my office applications, current workflow files when using CS5.

I see your point, however.