iPhone 11 Pro Question about Verizon Device Payments..

Damn Dirty Ape

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Illinois
I am needing to know from those that who have used the VDP program for the IP 11 - can you still only make each monthly payment or do a total payoff? I'd like to be able to pay it down with say 4-6 payments as I have some extra money.

Have they changed or still monthly or all?

DevinNj

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
You have to make the monthly payment or pay it off. You can’t double or triple up on the monthly payments to knock the balance down. Unless something changed very recently

Reactions: Damn Dirty Ape

Damn Dirty Ape

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Illinois
You have to make the monthly payment or pay it off. You can’t double or triple up on the monthly payments to knock the balance down. Unless something changed very recently
I was hoping it had changed. That was how it was about 18 months ago. Ok thanks for the feedback.

Reactions: DevinNj

DevinNj

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Like stated above, if you have any kind of promo deal they usually void that if you pay it off before the 24 months or whatever the agreement is. FYI

naturalstar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
They don’t apply any extra payments towards the phone. It will just apply to your monthly bill. You have to either have the money put down at initial order or pay the full remaining amount later.

That’s why I had to cancel my first order with them. I was putting half down now, so I will have it paid off altogether by this time next year. I’m leaving their program next year.

Nacho98

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2019
Yeah it sucks, you can only either make the minimum or pay the entire balance off, as said. This is obviously a way to keep people making payments like a pseudo contract, because I'd wager a lot more people can/would pay off a couple hundred bucks a month for a few months than can buy it outright - otherwise they would've just done that to begin with and skipped the BS.

On that note, no need to get into armchair finance of who can afford what.
- - Post merged: - -

That’s why I had to cancel my first order with them. I was putting half down now, so I will have it paid off altogether by this time next year. I’m leaving their program next year.
Don't think that's how it works, pretty sure they just divide the cost by 24 months, regardless of if you put money down or not.

If the phone is $1000 and you put $500 down, that just means you have half the normal payment for 24 months instead of the normal payment for 12 months.

Damn Dirty Ape

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Illinois
Well the reason I am looking at the VDP is the apple store is a little over 100 miles away and well that explains it I think. I hate the terms of the VDP and slimeballs that run the kiosks in the sam's clubs. My Sam's used to own and staff the kiosk and it was run 100% better than the shysters they have there nbow.

naturalstar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Yeah it sucks, you can only either make the minimum or pay the entire balance off, as said. This is obviously a way to keep people making payments like a pseudo contract, because I'd wager a lot more people can/would pay off a couple hundred bucks a month for a few months than can buy it outright - otherwise they would've just done that to begin with and skipped the BS.

On that note, no need to get into armchair finance of who can afford what.
- - Post merged: - -

Don't think that's how it works, pretty sure they just divide the cost by 24 months, regardless of if you put money down or not.

If the phone is $1000 and you put $500 down, that just means you have half the normal payment for 24 months instead of the normal payment for 12 months.
I know that my payments are still divided over 24 months. What I mean is that instead of $650 due at the time to upgrade, I will have less due (more like $300). I will pay off the phone at that time whether I choose to upgrade or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Damn Dirty Ape