question about verizon pre payed data.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rz-jacks, Apr 5, 2012.

1. rz-jacks macrumors member

I'm trying to decide if verizon would be a better option, but I've been doing a little bit of research and I've read that the verizon iPad works on a sim ALWAYS and if you don't use your account in 5 months the sim gets fried and you cant get a new one is this correct?

2. aristobrat, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012

aristobrat macrumors G4

When it comes to not using your account in 5 months and the SIM getting fried, are you talking about regular Verizon pre-paid cell phone service?

The iPad comes with its own Verizon SIM, and the whole iPad data thing works differently that regular pre-paid cell phone service does.

While the new iPad is the first iPad to use a Verizon SIM (so nobody's had one for a month yet, much less five months), but I'd be very surprised if it worked any differently than the AT&T SIM (which is to say you don't have to worry about the SIM frying if you don't use it).

3. rz-jacks thread starter macrumors member

but does the ATT ipad come with a sim? I'm a little confused on the matter. I plan to only activate data when I travel which is usually every 2 - 6 months so I really dont want to be heading to a verizon store every single time to get a new sim... Plus I've heard you CANNOT get another prepaid sim card from them unless you buy one off ebay

4. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

For Verizon pre-paid data plans, once you activate your data plan, you can cancel the plan at any time.

However, you have two options:

Delete account now vs. Delete account later.

Delete account now means - immediately cancel your 4G/3G service, deactivate the SIM card. You'd have to get a new SIM card if you wanted service again.

Delete account later - cancel autorenew. Your data service lasts until the end of the billing cycle, and you are not charged for a new month of data. Your SIM card is fine, and you can sign up for 4G/3G service in the future. However, if you do not reactivate the 4G/3G service within 5 months, the SIM card is deactivated, and once again, you'd have to get another SIM card.

Hope this helps you out. :)

5. rz-jacks thread starter macrumors member

6. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, I'm unfamiliar with AT&T's plans. (I've been using Verizon for both the iPad 2 and the 3rd Gen iPad.)

The AT&T iPad does come with a SIM. I'm fairly certain that the frying-sim card issue has been with Verizon only, because they haven't been big on SIM cards in the past.

7. oilfighter macrumors regular

Verizon might be great and all, but this type of practice rubs me the wrong way.