Question about VGA adapter and audio.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by /V\acpower, Feb 17, 2017.

1. /V\acpower macrumors 6502a

Hello,

I have a 3-4 years old lightning to VGA adapter (which also have next to VGA a lightning port usually used for charging.)

I know that VGA doesn't pass audio.

Usually the setup I have in my classroom is a VGA connector with a 3.5mm audio jack.

So if I need to show a video with sound, I simply connect the 3.5mm jack into my iPhone 6S.

HOWEVER.

Now i'm worried. Since the iPhone 7 doesn't have a 3.5mm plug and obviously future iPhone won't, and eventually no iPhone available to purchase will have one, what will I do for a presentation ?

The obvious solution is plus my VGA adapter into my iPhone, then plug in the lightning to 3.5mm adapter sold with the iPhone 7 into the lightning port of the VGA adapter (the port usually for charging).

I just tried this with the 3.5mm adapter of a friend, and audio doesn't pass through the lightning port of the VGA adapter.

So my question is this : Does someone know if the VGA adapters sold now at Apple Stores can pass audio through the lightning port ? (I bought mine maybe in 2012 or 2013) (basically, are they the exact same as the one they used to sell before the iPhone 7)

Also, another question, any idea about how to solve this problem with an iPhone 7 (apart from using HDMI).

2. elf69 macrumors 65816

elf69

how about a bluetooth reciever?

My friend has one plugs into 3.5mm of his hifi and he streams audio from his phone to it.

not best quality sound but works well enough for him.

3. mk313 macrumors 6502

Doesn't belkin or one of the other accessory makers sell an adapter that splits the lightning port? It was made for using headphones while you charge your phone, but I'd be pretty sure you could use audio out in one side and the vga adapter in the other.

4. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

The easiest solution would be to simply stick to your 6S.