Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Hi I'm thinking of buying a video ipod (30 gig) just want to put a few movies on it, videos etc. I'm just wondering, are the videos purchased from Itunes in a particular format? Just wondering because in Australia they dont have anything like Desperate Housewives avail for purchase and all that so im wondering if its worth to buy if they are the only formats that can be put on the Ipod. Hope I made sense!

Cheers
Vic

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
viccles said:
are the videos purchased from Itunes in a particular format?
Yes, H.264 320x240 with some kind of DRM on them.

However the iPod itself can play any similar H.264/AVC file as long as the resolution and bitrate are within the right bounds. It can also play higher resolution and higher bitrate MPEG-4 files in a variety of containers.

Look at any of the plethora of posts on making your own videos for the iPod, or use iTunes or one of the specific software packages targeted at making that "easy".

B

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Cheers thanks. So basically any movie/video can be manipulated into the ipod just using the right software your saying?

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
viccles said:
Cheers thanks. So basically any movie/video can be manipulated into the ipod just using the right software your saying?

Yes. Many sites even have videos for download that are already in the "iPod Video" format.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.