Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcelcole

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Canada lolzz
Ok so I did a clean install the other day of mac and got it setup exactly how I want and with exactly what I want on it and now i'm onto the fusion part where I used a pre-existing VM that I had stored and just re-formatted the VM disk with the windows disc and installed again my problem is that after I had windows setup just nice I was going to make a "base" copy to use on other computer I have but when I go to the VMs location and open the contents theres all the "usual" files but the VM disks are like this "Windows-VM.vmdk", "Windows-VM-0000001.vmdk" and "Windows-VM-0000002.vmdk", the one is 8.96GB and the other one is 19GB and the third one is 14GB, so i'm a bit lost I thought they were just previous installs, as my windows VM is limited to 20GB and is not set to split the files i'm not sure whats going on here and I also checked my space on the windows size and its using nowhere near that amount of space. I basically just want one file so I don't have to have another 50gb copy laying around for backup lol; I tried looking through its config files but didn't see anything regarding those extra disks, also if I remove them and star VMWare it asks where the file are so any help would be appreciated :cool:

hodgjy

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
Dude, learn to use proper punctuation (periods). Your post was extremely hard to read. I gave up on the fourth line.

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
VMware has a had time knowing which files on the virtual hard drive are deleted. It only goes through and does a check occasionally. I would recommend creating a snapshot (Virtual Machine --> Take Snapshot) which should go through and check for deleted files and remove them from the virtual HD.

marcelcole

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Canada lolzz
Well thanks for your great insight hodgjy. You don't have to be rude about I was typing that post at 4 A.M., in fact I was just plain lazy. You don't have to bitch and complain.

Anyways I figure it out, before I noticed someone had replied to my inquiry. And yes there had been a snapshot taken for some reason that I needed to "Discard" and that fixed my problem.

lugesm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Well thanks for your great insight hodgjy. You don't have to be rude about I was typing that post at 4 A.M., in fact I was just plain lazy. You don't have to bitch and complain.

Perhaps "hodgjy" was a little abrupt, but *seriously* people on this forum are really helpful and supportive. You are more likely to get good responses if you state your technical problem in simple easy-to-read terms.

Best of luck.

hodgjy

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
Well, I was just too lazy to navigate my way through very hard to read, non-punctuated text. Touche.

Seriously, though. This forum is very great and helpful. You'll get a much better help response if you can easily communicate your problem and your question.

marcelcole

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Canada lolzz
Well I agree with you I can tell this forum is really helpful, and I will of course put more effort into my posts and do my best not to best at 4 AM when I don't know where the "enter" key is lol. I have been on these forums for about a year but didn't register till a couple days ago. :apple:

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
In Mac OS X as in onther UNIX system files can be what they call "sparce". That is a 100MB file may not actually take up 100MB on the disk. The file can have "holes" in it.

If I were to write a program that wrote a byte at location "1" (measured fromt the beginning of the file) and then another byte at loaction 100,000,000. I would have a file that in the finder shows a size of 100 million bytes but the file would only be taking up a very few blocks on the disk. What the finder reports is the possiton of the last byte, not the number of bytes on the disk. In most cases the two would be the same, except for those "holy files"

VMware works this way

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Dude, learn to use proper punctuation (periods). Your post was extremely hard to read. I gave up on the fourth line.

Rather abrupt comment. But it is true that posts with high information content to "noise" ratios get read and answered. It is in your own self-interrest to be both breif and clear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.