Question about VMware/Parallels and Rosetta

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cjflury, Nov 12, 2011.

1. cjflury macrumors newbie

So I have had a rather insane (to me anyway) idea, but hear me out...

I just purchased Call Of Duty 4 from the App Store and like many users have become frustrated that you need to update the "punk buster" software it uses for multi-player manually. The sad part is I'm on Lion and the updater is PPC only :(

The updater requires you to locate the install location for COD4 in order to patch it. Would it be possible to run Parallels/VMware with Snow Leopard (I have my original install discs) and have it edit a file like that in Lion? I remember using it to emulate Windows and I had the option to share folder permissions, curious to if it would be the same. I'm asking because I don't want to piss away a ton of time with this if somebody knows full on it will not work. Thanks in advance!

-Chris

2. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

No. In fact: you better hope a virtual machine can't touch anything on its host.

Edit: A little googling suggests https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2721426?start=0&tstart=0 has a cure for you. Looks promising. The publisher really ought to wrench themselves into the 21st century, though-- Apple went Intel long, long ago.

3. ArchiMark macrumors 6502

That should work....

I googled "ppc apps on lion" and found this approach mentioned on several sites.

One suggestion mentioned about trying to install Rosetta from a SL disk into your Lion OS install, does not work...

So, check out some of the sites by searching as noted above....