Question about vMware's Fusion...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by majordude, Oct 25, 2007.

1. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

I have Boot Camp running and the added the beta of vMware's Fusion which saw the partition and added it to Fusion's menu.

When I start the partition inside of Fusion, OS X asks for my user name and password. Sort of annoying.

Does this happen with every partition/install in Fusion or just ones on Boot Camp?

In other words, if I load up Fusion on Leopard (no Boot Camp) and just install a virtual XP... will Windows just start or will the computer ask me for my name and password each time?

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

I'm not using Leopard yet, but I have a WinXP virtual machine running in Fusion on Tiger. Booting it starts it up the same as it would if it was running on a PC, either straight in or with a login/password screen depending on the way you configure it to start up in Windows. If I suspend it and resume it then it just resumes. At no point have I ever had to enter my name and password.

3. davinche macrumors regular

davinche

It only happens for Boot Camp partitions. The reason Fusion asks for the password is so that it can get root level access to the boot camp partition. Parrallels does the same thing when starting from a boot camp partition.

4. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

Ah! I suspected as much but didn't want to install XP again to verify that. THANKS! :D