Question about voice mail...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tangledweb16, Aug 22, 2008.

1. tangledweb16 macrumors regular

tangledweb16

OK, so I just got my iPhone 3G, and everything is working perfectly (no physical defects, great 3G reception) but when someone calls me, they get a message basically saying "the person you are trying to reach does not have an activated voice mail account.

Now, I can make and recieve perfectly, so what's this about? I had the last generation iPhone, and I don't remember having this issue. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

2. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

Dial your voicemail (usually #1) and set up your voice mail greeting

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

For me at least I needed to start the phone app and click on the voicemail button at the button and set it up...

4. tangledweb16 thread starter macrumors regular

tangledweb16

Yeah, when I hit the voicemail button nothing happens. It just won't let me press it.

And when I dialed "1" it said " error processing request".

Like I said, I'm hardly a novice to the iPhone, but I think this must be an at&t issue. I'll give them a call later...

5. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

When I setup my voice mail, I clicked on "phone," then I clicked on "voicemail." I had no problems. If I was you, I would go to your nearest Apple store or AT&T store and have them look at it. My 3G phone is my first iPhone and I had zero problems. Don't use the "dial 1," instead click on "voicemail." The iPhone is setup to access voicemail completely differently from a normal cell phone.

6. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

When I setup my voice mail, I clicked on "phone," then I clicked on "voicemail," and in the upper left-hand corner of the voicemail screen, there is a tab that says "greeting," and you click on the greeting tab to setup your voicemail. I had no problems. If I was you, I would go to your nearest Apple store or AT&T store and have them look at it. My 3G phone is my first iPhone and I had zero problems. Don't use the "dial 1," instead click on "voicemail." The iPhone is setup to access voicemail completely differently from a normal cell phone.

7. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

My guess is AT&T didn't set up your voicemail correctly. At first they didn't mine either and I had to call them to get it working.

Just call 800-331-0500 to get it set up.