Question about WD Passport drive...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by moworks2, Mar 27, 2008.

1. moworks2 macrumors member

I bought a 160gb passport drive...attached it to my g4 tower and formatted it fine, but when I hook it up to my ibook, a g3 700mhz dual usb model, it doesn't pop up on the desk top, it just makes a clicking sound...

what to do, what to do?...any ideas...

thanks

M

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

It's possible that the USB ports on an iBook that old simply aren't providing enough power to initialize and spin up the disc properly. That'd be my guess.

3. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I agree. I have a USB external drive that needs one of those double-USB cords for power. When I try a single cable, it sounds just like you describe.

Do you have a powered USB hub you can try? That might give you enough of a power boost to get it going on your iBook...

This is one of the reasons I like Firewire Drives over USB...

4. bananaquit macrumors member

I had the same problem when I connected my new Passport 160 to my old Latitude 840c. Nothing but click...click...

5. moworks2 thread starter macrumors member

ok, ok, what is a double USB cord?...not sure i've ever seen one of those...

I did at first try a powered hub but it didn't work on that...so far it only works when directly plugged into the usb port on the back of my eight year old g4 tower...

thanks

M

6. treehorn macrumors 6502

treehorn

You may need this:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/accessories.asp?ProdID=170

My partner bought a WD Passport and returned it within a week because of what you described. On one computer it would work fine. On another it wouldn't appear on the desktop. A little investigation at the WD site brought up the fact that some USB ports don't give enough juice so you need to basically get a cable to connect it to two USB ports (see above link), which is impossible on some Powerbooks that don't have 2 USB ports next to each other.

To agree with another poster, that's why I don't use USB drives and only use Firewire (love my G-Tech mini drive)

7. moworks2 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the link treehorn...I'll need to buy one of those...I got the drive to show up on my ibook this morning by plugging it into the powered hub i have connected to it...kinda of surprised me because the drive doesn't work on the powered hub i have connected to my g4 tower...and they're the same...

i need the usb connection for a hard drive connected to our television, something our isp gave us...it only takes usb...kinda weird to pick such a slow connection to download video but there you go...the drive only clicks when plugged into that and i'm hoping it'll work with the double connection...

thanks for your help...

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Probably depends on what else the hub is providing power to.

B

9. tejaykay macrumors 6502

tejaykay

I have a WD Passport which I plug into an Asus eePC and is recognised without any issues. Plugging it into a PowerBook G4 via a USB splitter (so as to provide more power, it's plugged into both the laptop's USB ports) the device fails to boot up and be recognised by the PowerBook.

Any ideas how to fix this?