Question about weak Wifi signals on my MBP (?)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Twenty5, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Twenty5 macrumors regular

Hi everyone, i recently got my MBP (check my signature for details!) and im really happy with it... BEST NOTEBOOK I have EVER used. And kudos for Apple for that....

Now, my question is for all the MBP owners out there in the wild: is your Wifi reception or signal strong? That seems the only "problem"(?) that i have encountered so far (except the white LEDs stripes... :mad: once only).... Lets say that im browsing the internet in my room, sometimes I NEED to put my MBP so that it faces DIRECTLY to the router in order to get some reception or at least be able to connect (distance from the router to my notebook is less than 7 foot) . If not, the connections drops completely. Is this a common issue for MBPs? The problem being poor reception? Aluminum casing maybe? or is it my router? Thanks. Any comments will be appreciated :)

2. billmister macrumors 6502

?

Well it could be a number of things... Have you tested another computer with wifi support (802.11n) same distance and what results are you getting? How far are you from your router in terms of feet or yards?

I know that the wifi strength is slightly lower on the macbook Pro due to the casing. 1 great example, here at work when i'm NEXT to another employee with a macbook "penryn" he gets 3 bars of signal from the available wifi. I on the other hand get 1 bar.... 1 BAR sometimes 2. Macbooks get a stonger signal even though they are 802.11 "n".

Now if you are about 10 feet from your router and it's very low than it could possibly be something else. Try a different computer and see if you get the same signal loss. Perhaps it could be your router. Make sure you have all the latest updates on your MBP as well, i know recently they had a airport update as well, maybe taht can help it out.

Good luck and keep us up to date.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

plastic > aluminum, in this instance.

I've had this "issue" on the rev.2 and rev.3 MPB's.

If apple is downclocking the GPU for heat/battery reasons (in osx. In windows, its at the default of 3xx/500 i think, but I can bring the card to 450/750 easily), and they are also taking the temperature of the wireless card, I wonder if they are forcing the card to use less transmit power.

4. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

its becuase apple uses crappy wireless cards in their notebooks

mine always takes a while to connect to the AP, once its connected i get full signal, but sometimes after waking from sleep it takes up to a minute to find the AP again, even though its an airport express AP