question about what happens if apple decomissions 17" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jeffinmotion, May 3, 2012.

1. jeffinmotion macrumors newbie

So, i'm considering the 17" MBP which i've heard apple may be doing away with. If I wait until the refresh, will I be able to scoop one up for cheaper, or does apple repo these things so stores can only sell the latest models? I can't say that I've seen "older model" apple products on store floors ever, so I'm unsure how smart it is to wait.

But i don't like the idea of paying full MSRP for a product that is close to a year old at this point.

Anyone have any insight or suggestions?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Once a replacement model is released, or an item discontinued, it's usually pulled from stores and no longer available to order. The only way to get one after that happens is possibly through a 3rd party retailer, or buy a refurbished model.

3. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Usually older items will show up in the refurb store for months, even after being discontinued.

4. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

Apple retail sells any remaining at a slight discount until they are or until a certain date. I know because I worked there when the thunderbolt computers came out.

5. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

...and you will be able to find them offered on eBay in various forms, for many years to come. I can guarantee you that.

6. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

Yes used. What if they want a new one?

7. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

You will still be able to find new ones on eBay for awhile. After they are all snatched up they may become scarce....but you know, Apple has certainly manufactured MANY, MANY more 17" MacBook Pros than the PowerBooks they produced in the early to mid 1990s. I have never seen a *new* unopened PowerBook 100 series, 500 series, 5300 series, 1400 series, or 3400 series offered on eBay. Not even a new PowerBook G3, and it would be extremely difficult to find a new, unopened PowerBook G4.

That said, there will be limited stock inventories floating around retailers, be it online retailers, computer stores, mail order retailers, and individuals who buy/sell units for resale on eBay. There are eBay sellers who buy new MacBooks at discount *new*, add upgrades, and resell them on eBay for a profit. You can find many New MacBook Pros being offered on eBay daily.

It would be a matter of time before the inventories are dried up completely, if you are looking for a new unit...maybe a year, maybe two.