Question about what iPad 2 announcement means -when will it be available

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Scifivision, Mar 1, 2011.

  1. Scifivision macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2011
    #1
    I know about the release event announcement but I'm trying to understand exactly what it means. If the iPad 2 is announced tomorrow (3/2) does that mean it is available to buy instantly? Are people going to be camped out at Apple stores tomorrow? Will it be available for preorder? And if it isn't available right away, will they give an actual release date at this event tomorrow?
     
  2. poloponies macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 3, 2010
    #2
    The one thing you can be sure of is that they will let you know tomorrow when it will be available for purchase (or pre-order, if applicable).
     
  3. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2007
    #3
    The fact that iPad supplies at other stores are drying up seems to suggest that at least some version of the iPad will be available for pre-order tomorrow and will be available next week. But again that's just an educated guess based on known information, we'll have to wait for the announcement tomorrow for specifics.
     
  4. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

    Mattstkc

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2009
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #4
    I second those notions. iPad 1's are out everywhere except of course at Apple's own website which will ship them within 24 hours:rolleyes:

    They want a quick release to immediately compete with the Xoom and all other April/May tablet releases.
     
  5. Scifivision thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2011
    #5
    But people aren't planning to camp out tomorrow or anything though? I'm just worried the ways they keep talking about having less than demand that it will be hard to get one. I was going to get an iPad for Christmas and decided to wait. When it does become available does the Apple store ever crash? Is it better to go to an actual store? (i assume it will not be available to stores other than Apple right away?)

    Thanks
     
  6. Sodner macrumors 68020

    Sodner

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2011
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    #6
    I can't see Apple releasing the iPad 2 without having a sufficient supply. It be better to just continue to sell the 1 then.
     
  7. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

    Mattstkc

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2009
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #7
    Apple store has crashed before but if you're watching the live coverage of the event you can sit on store.apple.com and F5 it to death until they update it and just try to get in, get it and get out of the site before it crashes.

    Of course you'll be doing that with me and prob a million others. Hopefully they've learned from their mistakes and it won't crash.. :rolleyes:

    worst case, you'll know the release date tomorrow (and it won't be the 3rd or anything almost certainly) so you can prep for camp out if you can't preorder!
     
  8. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2007
    #8
    I don't think anyone is camping out tomorrow and if they do they're stupid. There's a 99.9% likelihood there will not be new iPads in Apple Stores tomorrow. On the 0.1% chance there is, you should have no problem being one of the first at the store anyway.
     
  9. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

    Mattstkc

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2009
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #9
    after announcing 2? please. 1 would have to be sold for $399 base minimum to move after 2 was announced.

    Also, Apple likes to release without a sufficent supply because supply constraints imply that it's "selling out" and gets them free press a la Apple TV, iPhone 4 Verizon preorders, iPhone 4 Preorders, iPhone 3GS preorders.. It creates the illusion that people are literally buying them faster than those poor saps in China can build them. Which apparently is newsworthy because it's APPLE!!!:apple:
     
  10. Scifivision thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2011
    #10
    Thanks I was just wondering if I needed to stay on the website all day tomorrow, or at a store, etc. I have an appointment tomorrow I'd have to reschedule otherwise lol. Then again, I do have an iphone. Quick question though, where can you watch live coverage? I just planned to check twitter. I'm still pretty new to Apple or I'd know how all of this worked last year lol.
     
  11. SandboxGeneral Moderator

    SandboxGeneral

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2010
    Location:
    Orbiting a G-type Main Sequence Star
    #11
    You should be able to catch the live coverage from www.apple.com. They usually post a link toward the bottom for the live stream.
     
  12. Davichi macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2011
    #12
    I don't understand why everyone is asking for 399 dollars tablet. Apple is selling them as refurbished units for 429 dollars now and most likely they will price drop even less by tomorrow. So, buy them.

    iPad 2 will stay at 499 dollars.
     
  13. Krandor macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2010
    #13
    Very unlikely you can buy it tomorrow but they should announce at the event when they will be available. Since the sales for iPad 1s will be nonexistant once the 2 is officially announced there would be a big lag inbetween the two. My bet is preorders start Thursday... available Tuesday of next week.

    We might see iOS 4.3 available right after the event on Wednesday and then come pre-loaded on the iPad 2.
     
  14. Scifivision thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2011
    #14
    As with prices, I do wonder if they do change the sizes and add 128gb, if they will just drop 16gbs and adjust the prices (I hope) because I am hoping for more memory but don't want to pay another $100 more.

    Even if they do have MobileMe free to store stuff on the Internet or whatever, I would rather have the space on the device, otherwise you have to be online to access your stuff. I do not plan on getting a 3G version of an iPad anytime soon. I pay enough for my iPhone lol.
     

Share This Page