question about whether i should get my iPhone replaced

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by p01ntbLanK, Jan 9, 2008.

1. p01ntbLanK macrumors newbie

i read a lot of posts about people getting their iphones replaced for new ones because of problems theyve been facing. ive had a few problems with mine, but am waiting a few days to see if they have worked out after restarting the phone and resetting the network settings (as was told to do by the apple people). the problem ive been having is that at random times, the signal bars go to 0 bars and it says No Service. sometimes it goes back to 5 bars right away, but other times i have to restart the phone to fix it. im in areas where i should be receiving full signal strength. its happened quite a few times. if i go to the apple store, will they replace the phone for me? if they do, will it be a brand new phone or a refurbished one? thanks.

2. kurt92 macrumors newbie

Im having the same issue i've noticed it about 3 times so far after I brought another about week 1/2 ago. Should we get warranty replacement?

3. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

I would take it the Apple store. Mine was having battery problems, and they replaced it with no problems.

They should give you a new one.

:)

4. p01ntbLanK thread starter macrumors newbie

when u say new one..do u mean a brand new one..in the box..or a refurbished one? if its a refurbished one..i dont think i want to even get it replaced.

5. kurt92 macrumors newbie

6. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

I'm not sure that it is financially feasible for Apple to repair iPhones or to refurbish them in the traditional sense. I think the components are too small and sophisticated to be repaired. It is cheaper to just replace the whole phone.

Apple may sell refurbished iphones, but I'm guessing that these are returns that have been tested. If they pass the test, they get resold. If they fail the test they get tossed.

If anyone has really had their iphone repaired after a failure (excluding battery replacement), please respond.

7. calvy macrumors 65816

I've had similar problems with mine, and taking it to my local Apple Store hasn't done a thing for me. All they tell me is "well, do you reset it every night? It really needs that. Also, AT&T coverage kind of sucks in some places...I know at my house, I can't get a signal at all" and any number of random excuses you can think of. I'm sick of dealing with my Apple Genius's anymore, so I've given up. But I do still pick up my iPhone, notice that the signal meter is at 0 bars, and then pops back up with full signal within 5 to 10 seconds. And I often miss a call, and it goes straight to voicemail. I don't even know there was a call made except that it notifies me I have a voicemail. I'm sure if I told Apple this, they would point out that the phone can't make/receive calls while actively using EDGE, and who knows, it may have been pulling down an email when that call was attempted.

8. kurt92 macrumors newbie

Just came back from the apple store, went up to register and said I wanted to return my iphone (still under return period) and she asked why and I told her about my service issues with this iphone and how on my iphone i never experienced these issues, I also had a problem with my speaker on occasion, they right away after hearing that brought out a new one in a box and sent me on my way. I've got to say apple has some pretty amazing customer service, also from experience in the past. Also she said that its a problem with the antenna connection and that they have had a few getting warranty exchanges with same problem. Good luck!!!!

9. snook911 macrumors 6502a

If you are still in the return period you can probably get a new one if not you are going to get a refurb. I had to return my iPhone for non responsive touch screen and they had whole draw full of refurbs to give out to people returning there iPhones.

10. mikelliott macrumors member

I'm only seeing just over 24 hours of standby with the battery and about 6 hours of use. Is that normal or should I return it for another one?

11. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

In response to the OP, I believe that you should bring it in, this is enough of a problem to make your phone unreliable, and for $400, you should be receiving better service than this.

12. afd macrumors 6502a

am in I'm with o2. Had similar reception problems. Got phone replaced at apple store and new phone much better. At home and work I got no service half of the time. Now have seen it once or twice.
    There is a long thread about this on apples support pages.
    Its definately worth replacing your phone, worked for me.

13. afd macrumors 6502a

also first iPhone had a wee scratch on screen new one doesn't :)

14. whawhat macrumors 6502

been having this problem now and then (0 to 5 bars/"E" dropping). as soon as i upgraded my firmware though, it's been a really big problem. my friend tried to call me 3 times yesterday, all straight to voicemail (and my iphone didn't show missed calls). my office also tried to call 5 times during the day and it went straight to voicemail (and the voicemail never showed up?). i realize i am in NYC and there are pockets where the signal is bad but i am thinking it's the phone