Question about wifi usage with Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by nigelly, Sep 24, 2016.

1. nigelly macrumors regular

nigelly

Right now I'm carrying around 2 phones because work requires me to have a blackberry. I am wondering if I had an Apple Watch, could I connect it to the blackberry's wifi tether and potentially leave the iPhone at home or in my locker and receive all my notifications on the watch, through the blackberry?

2. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Apple Watch will remember Wi-Fi your iPhone remember so if your iPhone can log into your Blackberry automatically there's a good chance the watch can too but if it needs to input a password then more likely no.

3. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I am kind of doubtful that it would connect to the tethered wifi automatically and reliably. Does your workplace have public wifi you can connect to or are you mobile?

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I hate to be "that guy", but can't you just try it? Even at home I would think you could try it by turning Bluetooth off. Maybe I am missing something. Kind of new to watch. :)

5. tromboneaholic macrumors 68000

tromboneaholic

Connect your iPhone to the wifi once. Apple Watch will connect to it without the iPhone from then on. The end.

6. nigelly thread starter macrumors regular

nigelly

The part that's missing is I don't currently own an Apple Watch, and i was just curious if anyone else has tried something like this

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Haha. Makes sense. Unsure why I didn't even think of this.

8. nigelly thread starter macrumors regular

nigelly

9. BurgDog macrumors regular

It'll hang on to bluetooth well past the point where anything actually works. At some point it eventually gives up then tries WiFi. You need your phone to connect to the same network first and on the 2.4GHz band. If your phone connects on the 5GHz band it won't work.