Question about windows 7 licensing

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Jamie0003, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Jamie0003 macrumors 6502a

I have a friend who wanted me to upgrade his HP laptop to windows 7. So I installed clean install retail copy of it on his laptop. The problem is, he needs his own license key for this laptop.

I was wondering whether the system builder's license would work on a retail version installation? Or would I have to completely reinstall windows again to do this, using the system builder's license disc? It would save him a lot of money to have the system builder's license as opposed to the full retail version.

2. wpotere Guest

It will work but it is the wrong license to use. He needs his own retail license not a system builders license.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The OEM/System Builder License requires the System Builder to resell the computer to an unrelated third party, so it is not licensable to end users. Whether this is legal or enforcable where you are isn't clear.

Besides full retail you could consider a retail upgrade license which can often be had for about the same price as OEM and would be just as "outside the license" as OEM/System Builder, but at least is intended for end-user use.

You can clean install it using the double install trick (upgrade from your current W7 to the new W7) or a registry hack.

B

4. Jamie0003 thread starter macrumors 6502a

He doesn't want to have to reinstall windows, he just wants a key to work with it.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Then he should buy a copy of whatever edition you used to do the install. If you used full retail he should get a full retail license.

The upgrade is an in-place upgrade and would not remove apps or docs.

If you use the registry hack (Method #2 below), you may not even need that.

See this guide: http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media.aspx

B

6. Jamie0003 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm, will this upgrade leave loads of unneccesary files on the HDD?

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Nope. Especially if Method#2 works and you don't actually have to upgrade.

B