Question about Windows 7 Pre-Order Program!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mnsportsgeek, Jul 3, 2009.

1. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Hello,

I am looking to install Windows 7 on a boot camp partition once it is released on October 22. My question is, will I need a full version or can I get the pre-order upgrade disc for $50 rather than paying $200 for the full version.

I have a vaild Windows XP serial number. The real question is, will I be able to do a clean install using boot camp with the upgrade disc that I can get for $50 or must I purchase the $200 full version.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Yes, you can use the upgrade to go from XP.

3. mnsportsgeek thread starter macrumors 65816

will I need to install XP and then upgrade to windows 7 or can I do a clean install into Windows 7?

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You actually can't upgrade from XP (unless you go through Vista). You will need to do a clean install regardless but MS has said that anyone with an XP or 2000 license can use the W7 upgrade disk to do a clean install.

5. mnsportsgeek thread starter macrumors 65816

so would i be smart in forking over $50 now and if the small chance arises it WON'T work, would it be normal to think that I would be able to get my $50 back on ebay if it is $120 regularly after July 11?

6. mnsportsgeek thread starter macrumors 65816

so just to be clear. I will be able to install windows 7 straight from boot camp. I will NOT have to install windows xp and then install windows 7 correct?

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

All we know is this: http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-7-Home-Premium-Upgrade/product/B0F9E641

You will probably have to put in an XP or 2000 key but who knows. You could always resell the W7 upgrade license if it doesn't work.