Question about Windows 8 OEM

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by eattherich, Mar 20, 2013.

1. eattherich macrumors 6502

eattherich

Hey everyone,

I took delivery of my 27" iMac today and I'm looking forward to putting it through it's paces on some games in Windows. I have no intention of acquiring a copy of Windows, I want to buy a license. From what I've read it doesn't really matter between Windows 7 and 8. I don't like the look of 8 but seeing as I'll be buying a license and only using it for Steam/Origin I think I might as well buy the newest. Anyway, here's my issue. As you probably know, the latest Boot Camp in 10.8.3 only lets you create a bootable USB from a 64-bit version of Windows. I'm living in Berlin at the moment but I'd like an English version. Am I right to think that a simple Windows 8 OEM DVD would do the job? I've found one here (sorry it's in German, Chrome can translate!) and I could pick it up tomorrow. It's not cheap but as I'm only going to use it on my iMac it seems ok to go for the OEM. Can any of you confirm that these are the steps I need to take? Sorry if I missed one, I've no experience with Boot Camp.

1) Put the Windows 8 OEM (English) DVD in my MacBook (which has a DVD drive)
    2) Create an ISO of the DVD (using Disk Utility?)
    3) Put the ISO on my iMac
    4) Start Boot Camp Assistant and put a blank USB in
    5) Select the ISO and choose the USB

From there I will just need to select how big I want the partition then everything else will be ok, right? Sorry for all the questions but I'd like to be sure. Thanks so much, it's really appreciated! :D

2. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

My understanding of licensing is that the OEM license contains a clause allowing use for first-party system builders on every version of Windows except for 7, which states that it is usable for resale only (the outcry was such that the clause was reintroduced with Windows 8). If you're concerned about legality, 8 is the way to go.

The process couldn't be simpler. I made my ISO on a Windows machine using PowerISO, but other than that it was exactly as you described. You will want at least an 8GB thumb drive to be able to copy all the drivers and support files and do it all in one go (but 4gb works if you're fine downloading that later).

3. eattherich thread starter macrumors 6502

eattherich

Great, thanks for your help. I'm glad someone else could confirm that the version I linked to was right. Anyway, yeah, I have a little 8GB SanDisk Cruzer drive waiting so I guess I'll be all set tomorrow.