Question about wine spillage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by diane0905, Sep 22, 2010.

1. diane0905 macrumors newbie

Yes, I know. Not too bright. I spilled about 1/4 cup of chardonnay last night -- mostly on mouse pad and keyboard area. I'm not technological, so try not to be too hard on me if I use incorrect terminology. Anyway, it's the built in mouse pad, not an added mouse. I turned off the computer and left it open last night. I turned it on this morning and know from reading now it takes a bit longer for things to dry. My laptop is working fine if I plug in an external keyboard. Unfortunately, the keyboard itself appears to be shot. The mouse is working, but I have to push it a bit more forcefully than the norm.

Does this sound like it may just be a keyboard replacement and perhaps the mouse issue? My husband has an IT department at the business he owns and I'm sure they could take it apart and clean it if that is what is needed. I'm sending it there today.

I'm posting this right now from my laptop, so as I said -- it appears to only be the keyboard and a slight dysfunction of the mouse.

Thanks for your help and I've learned my lesson the hard way.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You'll likely need to replace the top case, which will run you $150-200 or so IIRC. If the wine seeped it's way onto the logic board, you've got major issues that may or may not be solved with a cleaning.

3. diane0905 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Miles. Hopefully, it wasn't enough for that and I'll keep my fingers crossed. I was pretty quick with the cleanup and thank goodness it wasn't the entire glass. I suppose I will take my lumps as it wasn't my brightest moment.