Question about working with Spaces

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Labhras, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Labhras macrumors regular

Hi all,

I was wondering if I could have the same app with different document per space.
    What I mean is, having Space 1 with a certain Safari window, Pages document, etc. and having Space 2 with another Safari window but without necessarily seeing the other one.
    Is there a way to do this?

Thanks for the help :)

2. Significant1 macrumors 6502

In mission control you can add extra spaces and you can drag windows up on them as you like.

3. Labhras thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah - but if I drag for example a pages window in one space, every time I need to work on a pages document it will go to that space.
    What I meant was to differentiate between the windows open in Space 1 and the ones open in space 2.
    For example, having only Safari tabs about "work" open in Space 1, while I have another Safari window with Facebook, Twitter, etc. in Space 2, but without seeing the window belonging to the other space.
    I don't know if this is possible with spaces.

4. Significant1 macrumors 6502

I really don't follow you. But if your problem is a full split between work and pleasure, what about creating another user? with quick user switching (https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18897?locale=en_US) you can quickly switch between work and pleasure from the menu-bar.

5. Labhras thread starter macrumors regular

I have something like 2 hours of sleep only so sorry if I'm not explaining myself properly.
    Let's try it like this: I have two spaces. If I have a Safari window open in the first space, let's call it Space 1, and I move with the finger swipe to the second space, Space 2, I see the same Safari window. If I open a new Safari window in Space 2, if I go back to Space 1 I'll see the new window, exactly like before.
    What I was trying to do is have a Safari window in Space 1 with some tabs open, and have another window open in Space 2, but with different tabs, and without seeing both tabs in each space.
    Like, Window 1 in Space 1 with "work, serious" tabs only, and Window 2 in Space 2 with other tabs open.
    In a sense, like "splitting" the program, windows and files open between spaces.
    I hope it's clear this time...

6. Significant1 macrumors 6502

Why do you se the same safari window, in space 2, unless you moved it. It does not make sense.
    Are you seeing the windows you created in Space 2, in Space 1, without moving it? again it does make sense.
    That is already how it works for me.
    You can circumvent osx limitation of one instance, if you want: http://osxdaily.com/2011/05/11/multiple-instances-application-mac/

7. Labhras thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, thanks for the help - apparently the apps were flagged with "all desktops" so I kept seeing that window.
    Now if I click on that app it goes back to the space where I opened the app first, but I can create a new window in the new space. Does it sound like it's working properly?

8. Significant1 macrumors 6502

Aah ok, that could explain it. I never really had a use for that.

There is a setting about, switching to a space where a program has open windows, when switching to a program. When I checked, it was the space with the window I last used.

9. cosmo3 macrumors member

everything is working properly.

I do a bit of the same thing with different spaces for different programs. One trick that might also be of use to you, if you click and hold an app icon in the dock and go to options you can set the app to "this desktop". Now whenever you tab over to the program, or click its icon in the dock, the screen will automatically swipe to that desktop.

another way to get over to the desktop that you want to use: option+ left/right arrow keys.

While, we're on the subject, has anyone that uses spaces figured out how to put the desktop number in the menu bar up top? it used to be an optional setting in 10.6 and was helpful in knowing where you were on the mac.

10. Significant1 macrumors 6502

There are a lot of old google hit's on the subject when Mission Control was introduced. However, none of the built-in solution shows the desktop. You can set up keyboard shortcuts og different wallpapers.

If you prefer Spaces, you might try Totalspaces 2 (http://totalspaces.binaryage.com/). It is a bit pricey though.