Question about XP install on a 2nd HD

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Gunga Din, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Gunga Din macrumors 6502

I'll be switching to Mac this month and wanted to still use XP for my gaming needs.

I was gonna order their 500GB HD (do they have a good one ?) and I just ordered a WD Raptor 10k RPM.

I was gonna install XP on that and put my games etc on it.

Can you go straight to that HD using bootcamp if its not my primary drive.?
    Also, which windows xp can you install?

Thanks !!

2. Random Chaos macrumors member

Get the 500GB 3rd party - much cheaper and they are downright simple to install in Mac Pros. 4 screws and push.

I'm pretty sure you can go strait to another drive for boot camp. Don't quote me though, as I'm waiting for my drive to come in Tuesday before I can confirm it :)

Any version of Windows XP works. I recommend XP Pro.

Also, get Parallels. Great software, and it means you can boot your Boot Camp XP without having to reboot to do things that you don't need direct hardware access for.

As a note: Just checked - XP was supposed to be retired (no retailer would be allowed to sell it) on January 31st (next week), but looks like they extended it to June. Of course, MS could change it back: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...uptake-microsoft-relents-on-xp-execution.html

3. Norco macrumors regular

After you install Bootcamp on the second hard drive, you can boot directly into windows by either selecting it in the OSX System Preferences menu, or holding down the option button while the computer is booting up.

Just a side note, I've been using Bootcamp to play Call of Duty 4 and it has been working great...very pleased with the ability to use both computer worlds.

4. OnePumpChump macrumors regular

OnePumpChump

Soon to be a first mac owner here...do you have to install XP on a separate hard drive than OSX, or can it be the same?

5. Norco macrumors regular

You can do it on the same drive, I believe its just recommended to do it on another drive incase something happens while you are installing it or if you need to clean the drive off for some reason.

6. OnePumpChump macrumors regular

OnePumpChump

so, since I'm now a cheap bastard cause I recently purchased the pro, could I install XP on an external and boot from that with bootcamp?

7. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

If it is firewire, then yes I think you can.

8. Gunga Din thread starter macrumors 6502

Which XP Pro Version is compatible with Bootcamp? Can anyone link me which one to buy from Newegg.com ? I thought it was XP Pro SP2. Also, if I add this 2nd HD, do i load bootcamp onto it and then the XP? I'm a little confused with the process.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks