Question about zeroing data on hard disk

Discussion in 'macOS' started by quovadis, Feb 4, 2008.

1. quovadis macrumors regular

quovadis

I have noticed this a couple of times when doing a fresh reinstall of Leopard:

If I use the option to "zero data once" with disk utility from installation disk and then do a fresh install of leopard, all the information is not removed from my internal hard disk.

In particular, the spotlight privacy settings are retained. For example, when I attach my backup hard disk after the fresh install, I discover that it automatically appears under the "privacy" tab in the spotlight settings. The same happens for my Eyetv folder.

Is there a way to ensure EVERYTHING really is erased before a fresh install of the OS?

2. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Are you using Migration assistant or moving your home folder contents over after the install?

3. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Those are probably defaults, not retained information.

If your backup hard disk is a Time Machine disk, I'm pretty sure it doesn't get indexed.

4. quovadis thread starter macrumors regular

quovadis

Your question is very insightful - hadn't thought about this. Here is what I do:

I don't use migration assistant. I have a folder in the "Documents" folder, say folder named "X"
    Before an OS re-install, I copy this folder to an external and after the re-install I copy from the external to the internal hard disk (to the "Documents" folder)

thanks

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

How long did it took to zero data? Few hours or minutes? Perhaps you didn't actually zero out the disk.

6. quovadis thread starter macrumors regular

quovadis

It took a long time. I don't recall the exact figure but I want to say something like close to an hour

7. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Someone who knows should confirm this, but that sounds funny -- almost like those folder specific settings are in .DS_Store, which I wouldn't have thought.