Question and Advice Regarding MBP and RAM Memory

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by clion, Sep 30, 2008.

1. clion macrumors newbie

I have a 15" 2.2Ghz (RS) MBP and the machine is an absolute dream to use.

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 3 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP31.0070.B07
    SMC Version: 1.16f10
    Serial Number: W88032V2X91
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled

I've noticed two things which kind of bug me about this machine, however...

I recently upgraded the RAM to 4 Gig. (Mishkin Mushkin 2GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SODIMM, 667 Mhz, unbuffered, for Apple) Originally, I purchased and installed two 2 Gb sticks in the MBP. While I noticed the performance has improved a great deal, I find that boot up seems to take longer, easily better than 1 minute. When running the original 2 gig of Apple RAM didn't seem to take this long. I was wondering if there were any performance issues related to using other manufacturers' RAM in MBP.

As a side note, I upgraded the hard drive to a SEAGATE 160GB Momentus 7200.2 SATA Notebook HDD w/ G-Force Protection, NCQ, and a 8MB Cache. Further, I removed one of the 2 gig sticks and added it to a MBP 17" 2.3 Ghz machine, maxing its memory at 3 gig. The 15" MBP now runs 3 gig as well. Performance in still strong on the 15" MBP, but boot up remains slow.

Another issue I noticed on the 15" MBP, which is not apparent on the 17" MBP, is that it runs *really, really* hot. While I've encountered plenty of warnings about the hot running temperature of MBP, the 15" could fry and egg. (!) The 17" runs relatively cool to the touch, however. I was wondering if there are any known issues or hazards related to the running temperature of the 15" model of MBP?

Thanks!

2. scott85213 macrumors member

Didn't know random access memory memory was out yet?

Could be that the default sticks in the MBP have a faster speed, and you replaced them with slower (but bigger) ones. I'm too lazy to see what the default speeds are on the ram, so you'll have to check it out.