Question and versions/auto save

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by timotay89, Aug 31, 2011.

1. timotay89, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011

timotay89 macrumors regular

Oops, should read "Questions about versions/auto save"

So, I'm creating a pages file full of math and pictures and other stuff. I finish for a bit and close the file. I then go to "get info" on the file to see how large it is. It's about 900kb so far. A couple minutes later I realize that I have time to finish one more section of it. I open up the file, add stuff to make the file have 25% more stuff than before. Close the file and "get info" again. Now the file is about 575kb.

Anyone know what's going on here? I'm guessing it's auto save or versions doing it's thing, but it's a bit weird to me. It's happened before too with other files.

Oh, and I just noticed that if I go to look at past versions of the file, I can't. It will open the time machine-ish interface thing but instead of past versions, it's just blank. The side bar DOES show past versions exist, but they aren't there for viewing. I never looked at this before the file size got small, so I don't know if this had anything to do with it.

Overall versions is a great idea that is driving me mad. Anyone else have problems like this with either file size or magically disappearing versions or anything else? And if so, help please?

2. timotay89 thread starter macrumors regular

One bump and then I'll let it die.

Seriously though, I can't be the only person in the world (or on this site) with this problem.

3. Riemann Zeta macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8L1)

Alas, you are certainly not the only one to take issue with Lion's odd auto-save/versions 'feature.'. Sadly, however, there is not yet known if it can be disabled. But with it as it is implemented now, it forces you to change everything you know about saving files and will overwrite your files regardless of whether or not you want it to.

4. timotay89 thread starter macrumors regular

No no no, I LOVE autosave and versions. I just want it to work. I want it there, but I'm wondering if someone else has had the same problem as me and if there might be a way to fix it, but not to disable it.

5. BlackMangoTree macrumors 6502a

I needs to die a very quick death. Has done nothing but complicate things for me. Overwrites my files if i like it or not.

6. timotay89 thread starter macrumors regular

I agree that you should be able to turn it off if you don't like it, but saving normally still makes a version that you can go back to later if you want. It the same as the old way of saving stuff, just with more stuff added. The biggest difference is that it's a bit more difficult to go back to the last saved version.

Still though, anyone else have this problem? There's got to be someone besides me on this forum that this has happened to.