Question - antivirus scan.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by klaze, Apr 15, 2010.

1. klaze macrumors member

Hi, so on my mac in windows 7, I did a deep system scan. The scan for the windows drive took about maybe 50minutes, but when it got to the mac drive, it's taking 4+ hours. The scan is still on for about 5 hours right now.

I just got my mac so I didn't really install or have a lot of files.

I'm looking at the "current operation" of BitDefender and it's been at E:\Applications\ (whatever is under application) for the majority of the time.

My question is what the hell do they put in the mac(stock mac) for it to take over 5 hours?!?! And is this normal?

Thanks in advanced.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Depending on the size of the partitions (50GB for Windows, 882GB for Mac OS X), the scan takes a while. Also know that Mac OS X uses a different file system, which will not be addressable at full speed to the Anti Virus scanner.

Btw, there is no know and published Mac OS X virus out there.

Some threads: Thousands of them maybe.
    http://www.google.com/cse?cx=011016...e:forums.macrumors.com&hl=en&as_qdr=all&meta=

3. klaze thread starter macrumors member

Actually I just remember I Scanned while on my mac with virusbarrier and it took around 1 and half hours so I just basically stopped the bitdefender on windows side.

I think in the future when I scan on the Window's side, I'll just let it scan through its drive and when it gets to the mac drives, I'll stop it there.

Thanks for your fast reply :)