Question: Apple SIM / soft SIM in Apple Watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by mark-vdw, Jan 13, 2016.

1. mark-vdw macrumors regular

Jan 20, 2013
    Question out of curiosity, to people with more knowledge about this than me.

There were reports for a while about Apple introducing their Apple SIM standard on the iPhone, and also pushing towards completely removing the SIM, in what i've heard described as a virtual SIM / soft SIM / eSIM. Is this something that they could be pushing for in context of the Watch, or is adding cellular to the watch still a very long way off (in terms of battery consumption, antenna size requirements, etc)?
  2. exxxviii macrumors 65816

May 20, 2015
    Many other smart watches have mobile access already, so the technology is there. (It has been there for a couple years with a few watches.) Whether Apple decides to adopt the technology is pure speculation.
  3. Julien macrumors G4

Jun 30, 2007
    Apple is interested in adding more health and fitness sensors to the :apple:Watch. Also while Apple has never been shy about cannibalizing other product lines the iPhone is sacred. Apple is not about to start slaughtering the cash cow now. Apple wants the :apple:Watch to help sell iPhones, not replace them.;)

Also Apple is not about to make an ugly 'hockey puck' sized :apple:Watch in order to cram enough battery to power a cell radio.

EDIT: Add that the carriers aren't too thrilled about the software SIM too.
  4. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Jan 29, 2008
    When Apple does this, it will be a game changer. Carriers need to be on board to offer cheap plans. I don't see it fully replacing a phone since app experiences are so limited on the watch, but it would let people go out for a jog or swim and not bring their phones.