Question - Background SMS and Forwarded E-Mails

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by airjan23, Apr 28, 2010.

1. airjan23 macrumors newbie

I saw that the OS 4.0 has a unified mailbox but was wondering if anyone knew if the new OS allows for the SMS messages to come in the background and not force you to close or reply to each one to close it? This gets very annoying when playing a game or using IM as it stops that app and forces you to close or reply. Or, can you tell me if there is a way to currently do it.

Also, does the new OS fix the issue of forwarded messages showing up as gif or mime attachments?

2. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

Unfortunately, in-app SMS only exists as a developer feature. Developers have to implement it in their own apps. However, since most apps will soon support multitasking, you can easily switch between any app and the Messages app.

3. airjan23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but I was speaking more of when you receive SMS messages, you need to close or reply to them to get rid of them. This is especially annoying of playing a game or watching MLB At-Bat, since it stops the action, so was wondering if the new OS would have an option to those messages come into the messages app and not show on the screen if you didn't want them there.

4. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

so you just want the SMS to not show up? that seems kinda dumb, sorry. the SMS is always going to show up, unless you have airplane mode turned on

5. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

no.. not really dumb. a sound would suffice in that case.

the op is asking for this to be an option anyways, YOU don't have to use it.

6. airjan23 thread starter macrumors newbie

I want to receive the SMS, just would love the option to have it come in the background, similar to the way e-mails are received. In this case, would be constantly received just wouldn't block anything else. If in your messages app, the SMS keep coming in but don't show up, so how is this different?

7. farmermac macrumors 6502a

quickreply sms...
    best app ever

8. airjan23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, will check it out. For me, the bigger issue is that I have a large amount of Twitter and ESPN Notice texts that come in, and when they do, I need to Close or Reply to them. Trying to see if there is a way to ahve them come in as backgound, like an e-mail, which would allow me to do whatever I am doing and not have the app etc stopped when the message is received.

9. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

You can just turn off Push Notifications for those Apps (or mess with the options) so that you won't be bothered by the notifications.