Question before buy iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Makaveli6103, Oct 5, 2011.

  1. Makaveli6103 macrumors 6502

    Jan 31, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I am thinking about getting a 27" iMac 2.7Ghz and using my friends Apple discount. Currently using the first gen macbook pro unibody 2.4 GHz duo. My main uses for the iMac will be Lightroom and Photoshop for photography editing and Adobe after affects or Final Cut pro for editing time lapse photography videos. Should I upgrade now or wait until the new refresh being that the current iMac's ae 1/2 through their cycle. I am guessing the new iMac's will just be a faster processor and graphics card.
  2. 28Gauge macrumors 6502


    Sep 4, 2011
    I guess it all comes down to how soon you need the computer. The next generation of iMac's probably won't show up for at least six months or more. If you can wait that long, then I would do so. The downside to all of these cool tech gadgets is that there is always something better just around the corner. It's sort of a game in timing your purchases within the time frame of a product's life cycle.
  3. Spike88, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011

    Spike88 macrumors 6502a

    Jan 25, 2010

    On average, iMacs are upgraded every 229 days. 300 days if one waits 2 month after 1st release - to ensure the new versions are stable.

    Is there a specific need for new upgrade feature? re: USB 3.0 or some other "future" need?

    If I wanted to buy an new iMac now, I'd wait 1-2 more months. Probably buy as a self Christmas present. ;) If wondering, I still see lots of bugs or weird behavior with Lion posts. Simple things but still.... Waiting 1-2 more months will ensure more "fixes" for Lion is available....

    Hope this helps - somehow...
  4. Macman45 macrumors G5


    Jul 29, 2011
    Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
    Take It To

    16GB and 2Gb VRAM

    It will eat everything,,
  5. Makaveli6103 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Jan 31, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Yea, I am editing photos from weddings and my macbook pro is really slowing down my work. I think if I upgrade now I will not be that disappointed when the new one comes out. The only thing I want is a thunderbolt hard drive dock or to esata.
  6. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

    Don Kosak

    Mar 12, 2010
    Hilo, Hawaii
    I recently bought the 27" iMac with an i7 processor, 8GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, and the SSD option. (My configuration is close to, but not quite at the top end of the line.)

    It's blazingly fast, and I do some pretty heavy work with large datasets and virtualization.

    I don't think you'll be disappointed with this model at all.

    Here's a simple way to look at it:

    WAIT A BIT IF: To achieve what you want, you need the most expensive model, with the very highest clock speed, maximum RAM, SSD, etc. If so, then you are going to be paying a premium for the cutting edge of technology. It probably makes sense to wait an iteration so that the price on those high end options will come down. (of course there will be a new round of higher end options by then.)

    BUY NOW IF: To achieve what you want, you need a model with one or two features maxed out (like fastest clock speed, or highest end video card). With this mixed configuration, then you're paying a more reasonable price for the specific things that will help you achieve your goals. Even if a new model comes out with other options -- your cost savings may only amount to $100 or $200... It would have been better to buy the computer earlier for that small difference.
  7. Makaveli6103 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Jan 31, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Your buy it now option is what I was thinking. If I get the high end 27" what would be more beneficial for my needs, processor or graphics card?
  8. Makaveli6103 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Jan 31, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I will also be using an additional Dell U2311H monitor which is 1920x1080
  9. Avro85 macrumors newbie

    Aug 7, 2011
    I agree

    I agree its somewhat risky buying electronics these days.
  10. Makaveli6103 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Jan 31, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    After some thought I decided to buy it. I got the 27" with 3.4 Core i7 and 2GB graphics card. I am going to add a SSD and upgrade RAM myself. With my friends apple discount it wasn't as bad as I thought. I am not sure how different the next iMac will be but this will fit my needs for a long time. Now all I need is a thunderbolt to esata adapter to come out.
  11. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

    Artful Dodger

    May 28, 2004
    In a false sense of reality...My Mind!
    Very nice set up, you should be set for quite some time :D
  12. AppleHater macrumors 6502a

    Jun 9, 2010
    Sorry to hijack, but I thought it's better to add on as I've got similar question than another similar thread. :)

    My biggest huddle is the hdd. 500GB is simply not enough to hold all my data, and hdd swap out isn't an option. I don't like DIY stuffs. With thunderbolt drives not available external hdd will be too slow to use it as the main work drive... Any thoughts?
  13. panzer06 macrumors 68030


    Sep 23, 2006
    FW800 external is fine for accessing data. Boot from the internal and use the internal for any stuff like scratch drive data for production work but general files music and movies will run just fine on FW800.


Share This Page