Question before purchasing re Doc editing

Discussion in 'iPad' started by robjulo, Apr 5, 2011.

1. robjulo macrumors 6502a

A couple of concerns preventing me from getting an Ipad 2 are flash and the lack of a file system.

I think I'm past the flash issue, however the file system may still be an issue.

The scenario I'm picturing is taking the Ipad on a trip and needing to edit a word document and then print at a hotel computer.

If I were to purchase the Xoom, I don't think I have an issue because it has a file system and a USB port, I could just save to the USB and then plug the USB into the hotel computer and print.

How could I accomplish the same task with the Ipad?

Thanks

2. the-sandman macrumors regular

the-sandman

With if you're using pages to create the word document you can either email it, upload it to an iDisk (if you have MobileMe) or send it to iWork.com where you can download it in .doc or PDF form on the hotel computer to print.

Not the best system in the world, but it is useable :)

3. joeconvert macrumors 6502

As long as you can get the file on the device.... email, dropbox, etc, you are good to go. As you are probably aware, the printing support out of the box is very limited (HP e-print). There are some workarounds to this with other Apps and some Mac based solutions, but those are not going to help you in the hotel situation.

A couple comments on editing. There is no concept of change tracking and commenting on the iOS productivity apps, so be careful and set your document expectations accordingly. Having done exactly what you are proposing before, I would also suggest you think about a bluetooth keyboard of some sort. The touch keyboard is necessarily bad, but it does kill your screen real estate.