Question before purchasinig my new mackbook...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by opeepingtomo, Dec 22, 2007.

1. opeepingtomo macrumors regular

ive posted on here a couple of times before, im making maybe not a full switch to mac, but at least getting my first mac machine as my primary laptop, and plan on buying an imac the next time they perform a full overhaul again.

my question is, i was holding out for santa rosa update, but then decided macworld isnt that long away. well i really need my laptop ASAP and my question is, does anyone know if in fact a new macbook that is slimmer and aluminum is introduced at macworld, will it probably replace the regular macbook line, or be a line of its own that is more expensive?

If you guys do think it will be a replacement, if i order my macbook now, and they do release a new one at macworld, will i be able to trade up to the new one for free? Im just gonna be really pizzed if i buy one now and they do a decent update (bigger than santa rosa) to the macbook. If its in fact a newer more expensive model that is its own categor, then i wouldnt really care.

thanks

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

3. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

this new slim book that MIGHT come out will go along with the pro line. this is not going to replace any macbooks, but will go along with the macbook pro line so you should be fine

4. opeepingtomo thread starter macrumors regular

k, so i dont have to worry about the slim line, but JUST IN CASE they were to update the macbook, is there ANY type of trade up within a limited amount of time

another question, what are refurbished macs like? ive never been big on refurbished products, i like my things new and shiny, but just incase there is a good deal on the refurb site, just wondering your guys opinions, the only thing about refurb though is if a new model did come out at macworld, and i could infact trade it in, im sure i couldnt with a refurb macbook

5. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

You can return your Macbook within 14 days but you would have to pay the restocking fee.

6. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

If you are that worried about it then wait and find out. If you want a great Mac portable buy a MacBook now and you won't regret it. Like I tell others if you are always waiting for the newest you will either never buy and if you care too much about having the newest then you will never be happy when you do buy.

7. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

If you are concerned about buying the most current technology, then you should not buy close to MacWorld. Always wait until after the keynote to decide on your purchase. Just keep in mind that what they announce, if anything, might not be shipping right away and you'll have to wait longer.

8. Built macrumors 68020

...and then Rev A of the new product can also be plagued with problems.

I went ahead and purchased my first Macbook the other day, and so far I am loving it.

9. opeepingtomo thread starter macrumors regular

yea i think i will go ahead and order it then, just wondering, the difference between the black an the white, is there a reason the black is 200 more, the 40gb upgrade is only like 75 bucks......

10. Built macrumors 68020

I considered both the black and white, and quite frankly, it is a personal preference.

While I liked the black, including some coworkers, that the black shows fingerprints and smudges to a greater extent than the white. The white had some discoloration problems but those seem to have been fixed.

To me, at least, and this might only be me, the white bezel on the white MB screen makes the screen appear larger.

Also, personal preference here again...There are TONS of black laptops out there, but only ONE white Macbook. White is signature Apple, but, again, it is personal preference.

The extra 200 bucks was not really an issue to me one way or another. I think they charge more to give it an "allure."

11. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

If it's opened. If it's unopened, isn't it a standard return?

Nope, the $125 is simply because of the color. Personally, I like the look of the black more (I know black is a common PC color, but the Blackbook doesn't look anything like your generic PC-it clearly looks like an Apple product because of its clean finish and smooth style).

In the end, just look at both in person and pick which one you think you'd be happy with. If $125 is going to put a strain on your finances, then don't do it. If not, then you have the freedom to choose whatever color you want. :)

12. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

Yes, it is just a standard return if he OP does not open it. I just assumed that the OP would open it.

13. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Yeah I guess he would if he "needs" it (I'm not sure how well that term can be quantified if he was willing to wait until January!:eek:).