[Question] Buying a Replacement iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by J. Dangerously, Aug 10, 2008.

1. J. Dangerously macrumors newbie

All,

I have a hypothetical question, and if anyone has personal experience from this — instead of "I think..." or "you probably should..." — I'd appreciate it.

So let's say I dropped my iPhone 3G and cracked the screen, or a car ran over it, or my dog got a hold of it, or I dropped it into the toilet. Whatever way you prefer, let's suppose my iPhone was destroyed by accident.

:D

Is replacing my iPhone as simple as going back to the Apple Store and paying full price for another iPhone 3G? Would I have to bring my old dropped/squashed/eaten/flushed iPhone to "prove" my case?

I guess I could call AT&T to be sure, but for some reason it just occurred to me today to find out how I'd do an "other-than-warranty-issues" replacement.

Thanks in advance!

[Johnny Dangerously]

2. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

They have a SWAPOUT price and you would have to turn the broken one in depending on what was broken. From experience a broken screen would be $200 for a swap. If it was stolen or lost you would have to pay full retail which (when it became available) would be $500 / $600 but since that isn't available now it probably would be $400 / $500 with a 2yr renewal. Don't expect to get another one for $200 if you "lost" it and had nothing to return. They aren't that naive.

3. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

I had/have a dinged corner and they said the only price I could replace it for was $300 for a completely new one. (White 16GB)

4. Cyclone Chris macrumors regular

This is why I used my AMEX card to buy the iphone... Peace of mind.

5. xerostyles macrumors newbie

You can walk right in and buy another one for $399/$499 (8gb/16gb) no questions asked. It will technically restart your contract again for another 2 years, but that means little to nothing.

6. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

You 100% sure of that or are you asuming that to be fact? You are only allowed to purchase 1 per line at that price as it is still partially subsidized (unless of course you turn in the old "user damaged" one) . The $599/$699 unsubsidized price is more then likely what you would have to pay (when it becomes available) if you are not turning in another user damaged phone. I know my son-in-law smashed his and it cost him $199 (8Gig) for a "repair" swapout on a 1 week old device.

7. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Be careful. Some Amex cards specifically exclude cell phones when you read the actual contract online on some of the buyer protection items.

8. xerostyles macrumors newbie

100% fact. If you walk back into and Apple store and purchase another phone it will only cost $399/$499. You do NOT need to return any other phones.

I am not sure where people are reading this information about "being allowed" to purchase only one phone, because this is not the case.

9. wreckshop macrumors 6502

This is true. I accidently dropped my iphone in water and had to buy a new one this saturday. You pay the ineligible upgrade price of $400/$500. Not sure about the swapout price since I plan on using the warranty I purchased on my damaged iphone.

You can actually use this loophole to your advantage if you want a contract free iphone. Simply go into an apple store and tell them your phone is damaged, and you need a new one. That's a savings of $100 from the no commitment price, which even if you wanted to pay ATT or apple won't sell to you yet. You can do this 4 times, for a total of 5 iphones per line.

10. BlueCynicalMoon macrumors newbie

Advance Replacement Policy

I was helping someone from Puerto Rico on the AT&T forum and found this in my search.

Advanced Replacement Policy