Question Can I fully Control the Touch Bar or does it Control Me ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheRealAlex, Nov 5, 2016.

1. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

I won't argue prices here there are many threads about that or how Apple is taking away ports to sell them as Dongles. I don't care.

This is a genuine Question. Do I have full control of the Touch Bar or does it Control me ?

Why because Apps and programs generate revenue based on organic live users and "clicks" and while I appreciate the Touch Bar IMO it maybe a Trojan horse to generate more clicks or interaction because it reconfigures itself based on Your Actions forcing you to either interact with it or click on it to get what you want. In some cases developers will likely remove traditional functionality in favor of the Touch Bar because they and other App makers get more clicks out of you. Apps and websites can you imagine trying to stop pop ups and now trying to get your Touch Bar back to normal after some App took it over. Like a news text crawl for adds.

So again my question is do we fully and always Control it ?

I like the Touch Bar but I need to be its master. I Control the tools. Can I fully and permanently set it to Traditional Function Keys functionality with out and App or Program I open Changing it completely ?

And lastly. Do we have full permanent control over the Touch Bar that any Custom Functions we assign are not automatically wiped away when we Change or open new Programs or Apps ?

2. Exile714 macrumors 6502a

Mind control was considered but it added 1/10th of an inch to the chassis so Jony Ive nixed it until version 2.

But in all seriousness, Apple controls the touch bar. They won't let the pop up nightmare you described happen. You won't be fully in control of the bar, which has its plusses and minuses but is very much in line with Apple's walled-garden approach.

3. Macalway macrumors 68020

Apple said they control it, not you. What else is new.

Like iOS, it has to be tightly controlled, otherwise, abuse will compromise it.

(or something like that? )

4. TheRealAlex thread starter macrumors 65816

Wait so I can't set it and forget it. To muy standard Fuctions Keys Or access to Display brightness or even just Mute. Hmmmm this has ad revenue written all over it.

5. cmaier macrumors G4

Paranoid much? Go read the HIG. It answers all your questions. You can lock it down to the normal control strip, or let apps modify it. And apps are only supposed to use it for input controls, not presentation of data. And only the foreground app can modify it.

As for your conspiracy theory, the control bar can no more be a Trojan horse for click revenue generation than can keyboard shortcuts. You make zero sense.

6. Kudos6612 Suspended

Touch bar is not ad revenue you conspiracy nut.

7. Howard2k macrumors 6502a

Howard2k

Does the touchbar have a "please don't create crap threads" control option? That would be super cool.

8. cmaier macrumors G4

what are "crap threads?"

9. Howard2k macrumors 6502a

Howard2k

Ones about touchbars being used as mind control devices.