Question: Charging MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by metrowarrior79, Jun 27, 2014.

1. metrowarrior79 macrumors newbie

I have a question about charging with a thunderbolt display. I just bought a new MacBook Pro with retina display and am using it frequently at home with a thunderbolt display. I have been told in the past to only charge my computer when it needs it and that it isn't good to leave it plugged into the charger all the time, but with the thunderbolt display the computer can only be closed and used with the thunderbolt display when it is plugged into power, otherwise it has to be left open if not connected to the power supply.

My question is what do you guys do? Do you just leave your notebook open (a little annoying and takes up more desk space) when using with a thunderbolt display, or just go ahead and plug into power even if it doesn't need to be charged and leave it closed? Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Just unplug and run on battery power for a few hours every few days, to keep the battery exercised. Then put it back in clamshell mode.

Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I've never worried about unplugging to use the battery; my computer remains plugged in to my TBD 95% of the time.

It's 40 months old with 93% battery health, so I don't think it's done anything too bad to it. Realistically, we're all going to upgrade a computer before plugging it in all the time is going to have a discernible effect on battery life.

Just my view of it.