Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scs15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2014
Well unfortunately dropped my iphone 6 cracking the screen.

Apple fixes them for $109 but I also noticed Applecare is $99 and $79 for repair after accidental damage.

So for that $79 do they just replace the phone or fix the screen? I ask because the sides are also a little chewed up.

So my options are paying 109 (for just the screen) or 178 (gain another year of warranty and get new phone and option in case of any other accidents)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Well unfortunately dropped my iphone 6 cracking the screen.

Apple fixes them for $109 but I also noticed Applecare is $99 and $79 for repair after accidental damage.

So for that $79 do they just replace the phone or fix the screen? I ask because the sides are also a little chewed up.

So my options are paying 109 (for just the screen) or 178 (gain another year of warranty and get new phone and option in case of any other accidents)
Actually, your only option is paying $109 for screen replacement.

Had you bought Applecare+ when you bought the phone then you'd only be out the $79 charge.

But if you delay purchasing AC+ then Apple will require an inspection of the phone. Your broken screen is not going to pass inspection. They won't sell it to you if anything is broken or damaged. Also, you only have about 60 days after initial purchase to get AC+.

Under AC+ repair or replacement is up to Apple.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
If the Apple store has the screen only for the 6/6 Plus, you can opt to do a screen only replacement. Otherwise they will just replace you the whole unit.

Scs15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2014
Actually, your only option is paying $109 for screen replacement.

Had you bought Applecare+ when you bought the phone then you'd only be out the $79 charge.

But if you delay purchasing AC+ then Apple will require an inspection of the phone. Your broken screen is not going to pass inspection. They won't sell it to you if anything is broken or damaged. Also, you only have about 60 days after initial purchase to get AC+.

Under AC+ repair or replacement is up to Apple.

How to get AppleCare+

Add it to your shopping cart during the checkout process when you purchase your new iPhone.
Buy it within 60 days of your iPhone purchase. Your iPhone purchase date is the date we ship and charge you for your order:

At an Apple Retail Store (requires inspection of your iPhone and proof of purchase)
By calling (800) 275-2273 (requires you to run a remote diagnostic and provide proof of purchase)

So id still have to bring it in for an inspection anyway?

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
How to get AppleCare+

Add it to your shopping cart during the checkout process when you purchase your new iPhone.
Buy it within 60 days of your iPhone purchase. Your iPhone purchase date is the date we ship and charge you for your order:

At an Apple Retail Store (requires inspection of your iPhone and proof of purchase)
By calling (800) 275-2273 (requires you to run a remote diagnostic and provide proof of purchase)

So id still have to bring it in for an inspection anyway?

no you can do it over the phone, not sure what that rempte diagnostic can detect

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
no you can do it over the phone, not sure what that remote diagnostic can detect

It will detect drops, especially shattered screens, so, no, the OP won't be able to add AC+ after the fact.

OP, if you purchased it with an Amex (or equivalent) with 90-day accidental damage coverage, Amex can reimburse you. Otherwise, you'll have to cough up the $109.

Scs15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2014
no you can do it over the phone, not sure what that rempte diagnostic can detect

It will detect drops, especially shattered screens, so, no, the OP won't be able to add AC+ after the fact.

OP, if you purchased it with an Amex (or equivalent) with 90-day accidental damage coverage, Amex can reimburse you. Otherwise, you'll have to cough up the $109.

Ordered and no the remote diag did not detect any drops or anything like that. Not even sure how that would be possible but either way. If anyone was in this dilemma I think it made more sense to put 99+79 for applecare+ and the 1 incident charge and have a brand new phone rather than pay 109 to just have the screen repaired and i also gain the security of another full year of coverage, plus 1 battery replacement, plus another accident if it ever happens.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Ordered and no the remote diag did not detect any drops or anything like that. Not even sure how that would be possible but either way. If anyone was in this dilemma I think it made more sense to put 99+79 for applecare+ and the 1 incident charge and have a brand new phone rather than pay 109 to just have the screen repaired and i also gain the security of another full year of coverage, plus 1 battery replacement, plus another accident if it ever happens.

Wow, you're lucky. Others who've tried to do that were doomed.

GoPro

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012

Nice BS right there.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I'm sure they can also detect water damage through remote diagnostic. (not). but I bet restoring ios would be good enough before they run the diagnostic on their end.

That's an interesting theory, that restoring will erase the "black box" that allows the remote diagnostic test to detect a prospective drop.

For those of you still calling BS on the remote diagnostic test being able to detect damage, see https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/19989895/

So I talked to apple chat and said I wanted to buy AppleCare. The rep texted me a link that started with diag://... I ran it and the rep said failed??? She asked if the phone had been damaged and I left the chat. So now I'm not sure what to do

GoPro

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
That's an interesting theory, that restoring will erase the "black box" that allows the remote diagnostic test to detect a prospective drop.

For those of you still calling BS on the remote diagnostic test being able to detect damage, see https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/19989895/

LMAO this is hilarious. The rep clearly meant that the diagnostic test results didn't go through (failed), which happens sometimes and even happened to me just yesterday. It has nothing to do with detecting drops. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.