Question: copying paragraphs from iBooks for later reference, is it possible?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sakabara, Apr 5, 2010.

1. sakabara macrumors newbie

I am still confused with what is for me a deal breaker. Is there an out of the box way to copy-paste contents (i.e. whole paragraphs, not the entire book...) bought from iBooks, or in ePub format to a note jotting program such as Devon think pro. I am mainly interested into non fiction books with factual contents I'd like to keep gathered in a research file. I have the same issue with contents saved for later reference taken out of eMagazines (Times, NYT, etc...) I have read a lot about iPad so far, but nobody seems to mention this rather obvious function. Am I missing out something?
    Any third-party solution to this copy/paste issue will do (without jailbreaking...)
    Thanks

2. diabolic macrumors 68000

You can select and copy text from some eBooks and paste it into any app that accepts pasting. It doesn't seem to work in every book. Maybe it's based on what DRM is used.

3. Yuriy S macrumors newbie

Yes. There is generic copy functionality. You can copy the entire paragraph as well buy you may need to decrease the font size if paragraph spanned to multiple pages.

4. Yuriy S macrumors newbie

Thanks. I only tried it with free non-DRM books.

5. vini-vidi-vici macrumors 6502

The other post has it right. You can copy text from books in the public domain, but not book with drm protection. You can use the highlighter/bookmark feature on those books however, which works pretty well, as you can later jump to your various bookmarks. But the content can't be exported.

6. sakabara thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to all for the first answers... Is there a way to annotate the bookmarks to give them a title (if you have 10's of bookmarks on the same eBook, it can be awkward to hunt down the one you need at a particular time for future reference...)