iPad mini Question: Current Mini Owners

Discussion in 'iPad' started by The Pearl, Oct 30, 2013.

1. The Pearl macrumors newbie

I'm currently using iPad 3. Considering mini with retina. Went in Sam's Club today and performed different task on mini. Found myself constantly stretching screen to increase readability of text.

If you are a current mini owner is this a common habit or do you usually view text in default size?

Thanks

2. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I am constantly resizing to make text larger.

3. Jasmynp macrumors 6502

Jasmynp

I do that on occasion, but it was worse when I had an iPad 3. Although my resizing says more about my eyes than the iPad mini.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No I don't even resize on my iPhone.

I'm used to staring at really small text.

5. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Tried the Mini at an Apple Store and found myself resizing text, too. Decided to check the same thing on my iPhone and same size text on the iPhone was perfectly legible as is. For me, the problem with the Mini is lack of resolution which should be solved by the upcoming retina Mini.

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yup, me too. I'm done with the little iPad.

7. Sleepnclass macrumors newbie

Nope, I don't resize often on the mini.

8. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

I do a lot but bc of the resolution, need to resize to make it clear. Problem should be solved with retina.

9. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

First tactic is to switch to landscape mode, second is to double tap a paragraph. In either case, hoping it's not one of those 'smart' pages that reformats to keep a constant magnification. Third is putting safari into reader mode.

Guess that's a yes.

10. scupking macrumors 6502a

Yes I resize a lot more with the mini then I did with the iPad 3. I like the small size and light weight but think I will go for the air this time.

11. Epiphron macrumors regular

i remember doing this a lot even on the nexus 7 with a higher resolution. retina mini shouldn't fix this issue. small text is small text :/

12. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Depends on your eyesight. I can easily read 5 pt text on paper (laser-printed 300dpi) so I think a Mini 2 would solve my legibility problems with the Mini 1. Meanwhile, someone like my mom who already needs reading glasses would benefit more from a bigger display even if it's a non-retina iPad 2.

13. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

Yep. I do have to zoom from time to time. I don't think the Retina display will end the days of zooming completely, but it should make text from a far angle easier to read.

14. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

The small text was one of the reasons I made the move back to my iPad 3. Browser wise, you can use Mercury or Perfect Browser, which will let you increase the font size. UI elements remained small of course. Really depends on your eyes though. Weight wise I loved the Mini.

15. The Pearl thread starter macrumors newbie

I carry the ipad 3 in a shoulder bag basically everywhere I go. Have been considering mini with retina upon release due to convenience of smaller size.

I really enjoy readability of 9.7 display, so I think I'll opt for the Air.

All replies were helpful in decision.

16. THFourteen macrumors 6502

I have issues using safari on my mini in portrait view in a lot of websites, i find the text too small.

WHich is strange because i can happily use the same websites on my galaxy S3.

I had to download mercury browser which has the option to increase default website text size to make it useable. Unfotunately its not as quick as safari, and the way it works is, the page loads, and then it refreshes into the large text size, so theres a second delay which is annoying as stuff jumps around the page.

Its annoying that ios 7 has the ability to increase text size, but it doesnt seem to apply to safari

17. sim0n macrumors member

I hardly ever resize text in my mini, if it's too small I just turn it landscape and it's usually fine :)

18. TheSwede macrumors regular

19. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

i know they look cool and all but i still never understood why so many people flocked to the mini as much as they did. i remember when i use to take my laptop everywhere so a full size iPad is like a feather when i'm on the go.

but with the air it's almost a no brainer.

20. Jasmynp macrumors 6502

Jasmynp

I had an ipad 3 carrying that thing in my purse was cause shoulder pain. Add the that how heavy it was in hand. The mini is an awesome compromise for me. I just put on my glasses and that solves it. I am considering the retina update though. I wasn't before, but I'm considering it now.

21. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I did mostly because of weight. And the mini has served me well. Now that they have the same specs, I am very tempted to get another mini. But the Air has done a good job in shrinking, so I am giving it a shot.

22. Z3man macrumors 6502a

I had decided to wait for the mini retina because i like the size and weight, but after reading this thread and reading about people having to resize all the time i might go for an air. If i do at least i will be able to buy one tomorrow.

23. pixelzombie macrumors member

pixelzombie

I resize alot on my mini which is why I thought about upgrading to a larger screen. Especially with the new app I found for remote desktop, lol. It just seemed like a good idea when I bought it for school though.

24. MatthewStorm macrumors 6502a

MatthewStorm

I do it all the time.

Getting the 128 Air tomorrow.