Question, Dirty Speakers?! New Glassbook Pro.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by icy-macpro, Nov 11, 2008.

1. icy-macpro macrumors member

Hey thanks everyone for your advice.
    Reading this forum gave me the boost to sell my powerbook 12" &
    get the glassbook pro!

Its a beauty and i get loads of gasps by it. more than my powerbook 12"

Well I have a strange thing with my mac. The speaker holes have white areas on them.. Like powered places and are highly visible. Sounds are crisp.. but why? anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
    icymacpro

2. Mercellus macrumors regular

I believe this is caused by the CNC machining process, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

3. korpanopoly macrumors newbie

There is an easy fix for the dirty speaker grills / holes you mention - I had the same issue.

All you need to do is take a piece of scotch tape (that is what I used anyway) and lay the aforementioned piece of tape over the speaker grill / holes where they are 'dirty'.

Rub back and forth on the piece of tape slightly so that you get nice contact with the grill / holes. Let the tape sit for a minute before you slowly remove it.

Now enjoy - perfectly clean speaker grills / holes with no tape residue (again, if you use scotch tape).

4. Mercellus macrumors regular

Really? I'll have to give that a try... I did try using stuff like iKlear Apple Polish and an optical grade cloth, and to my eyes it looks like a slight remnant of the CNC process, I've seen this on every MacBook Pro (Late 2008) I've laid my eyes on.

5. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

A small caveat: the MacBooks don't have speaker grills. :rolleyes:

6. Mercellus macrumors regular

My bad. I'm tired. :p

7. chrisi29 macrumors member

8. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Haven't you?

It is not a risky thing to try. I see no risk of scratches, acid burns, fire, or flooding, by rubbing a piece of tape on your Laptop speaker grills. ;)

I have done similar (just placed on grills, rubbed the tape down to get rid of bubbles and removed) with clear package tape on my new MBP. It removes some of the residue, but what we are seeing is likely rough edges caused by laser cutting (Not likely CNC machining).

[​IMG]

9. DYER macrumors 6502

i tired using commercial scotch tape (its wide enough for the whole grill) and ti worked a treat couldnt believe it

+1 !!!