Question: Does Apple Make $ From Kindle App?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by cilliano, Apr 29, 2010.

1. cilliano macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I was listening to an podcast of an interview with the guy who wrote "Googled" on NPR's Fresh Air today, and he said that Apple get a "chunk of change" from the books sold through the Kindle App on the iPad. Is this true? I was under the impression that the App was free to download, and that Apple don't get a penny from the sale of individual books on it?

2. NinjaMonkey macrumors regular

I haven't used it so I am not 100% sure but I did not think you could purchase Kindle books from the app itself. If you can then yes they do get a cut of the money.

Other than that Apple gets the $99 developer fee from Amazon and that is it.

3. IronLogik macrumors 6502

Books are purchased from the amazon website. So no, apple does not make money on the Kindle app.

4. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

You don't buy books with the Kindle app. The app sends you to their website to buy the books then downloads it to the app. I do not see any part of the process that allows for Apple to take any portion of the money.

5. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

^ This... by redirecting you to the safari browser so you can make the purchase online and thus outside the app, Amazon avoids having to pay Apple anything.

6. bossxii macrumors 68000

If the Kindle app is a reason someone buys Apple hardware, then yes. All the apps on the app store that drive hardware sales creates profit for Apple. Directly, or in the case like Kindle, Netflix and other "free" apps indirectly results in Apple profits.

7. cilliano thread starter macrumors newbie

8. elleana macrumors regular

I doubt Amazon will ever allow in-app purchase for Kindle books.

9. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

On every app sale, Apple receives 30% of the money. The developer gets 70, and Apple also does get the beginning fee that allows each developing house to distribute their app.

10. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

Kindle app is free.