Question..does more email accounts being pushed to iphone = more battery drain?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JMB1911, Feb 26, 2011.

1. JMB1911 macrumors regular

I have a handful of email accounts that come to my iphone...some hardly ever get used. If I change the ones I don't use very often to fetch will it use less battery than having them all pushed to my phone?

thanks

2. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

yeah I would assume so. Im not sure how push works with multiple email accounts. Like if they all push at the same time or different times. If theyre pushing a different times its definitely eating your battery more.

3. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

How could they push at the same time?

Push means a mail comes in, and it gets instantly sent to your phone.

The answer the question: Obviously the more work your phone has to do, the more the battery will drain. If you have mail coming in, the battery will drain. However, just having an account with no mail coming in will not drain the battery more than not having it.

However, why not just set up a forwarding address from those seldom used accounts to the main one?

4. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

ahh youre right Im a dummy, I was thinking fetch :eek:

Then yes it will definitely drain your battery more. If the emails in the accounts you dont use much arent ever important emails that you need right away just set it to fetch every hour or whatever and it will prob help your battery a bit.

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

There's not an easy answer for that. It partly depends on your location and network topology. See bottom of reply.

If they're different mail providers this is true.

This is incorrect, because push is not real push on the iPhone; it's a regularly timed long fetch.

That's actually a good idea if all the mail accounts are from different providers. If you have a GMail account, you can go to the settings on its web page and set it to do regular fetches from other mail accounts... including letting you reply using those accounts.

-- OP, here's the deal:

Fetch creates a connection to the mail server, asks if there is mail, gets any and closes the connection. This repeats as often as you have set the timer.

Push creates a connection to the server, asks if there is mail, then waits for up to X number of minutes for a reply. As soon as there is mail, the server can immediately send that reply, which acts like a push to the user.

The key is what X is. It depends on the shortest amount of time a device in the network keeps your connection alive.

It can be as long as 45 minutes. It can be as short as 5 minutes. If it's longer, it uses less battery than a 15 minute fetch. If it's shorter, it uses more.

What you need to do is run some tests. Set up different fetch and push situations each day for a week, then try to use the phone about the same each day.

6. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

I would say the more accounts you use the more battery drain there is going to be. But only marginal...

7. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

The real question is if you have 5 email accounts, does your iPhone fetch email on all 5 at one time of does it over 15 minutes check 5 different times. This would use 5 times the power.

Apple does fetch and I do not see calling it anything except fetch, not push.

Blackberry is PUSH:p, still the best mail dleeivery system to a mobile device on earth!