[question] Dual DVI connector to retina imac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Mystiqz, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Mystiqz macrumors newbie

Does anyone have a recommendation on an adaptor to connect my external monitor that uses dual DVI-D into the retina imac? Thanks in advance.

2. tillsbury macrumors 65816

3. Mystiqz, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2014

Mystiqz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. There is another connection on the back of the monitor, VGA. That would be a cheaper option.

When I initially looked at the images on the back of the computer on the apple store, it didn't label a minidisplay port so I thought the computer didn't have it. But upon reading the detailed description, it says it has it. The image and the description just didnt match up so I got confused.

I'll try to find a non-apple clone cable :) Do you happen to now if there is one that can output to 2560 resolution or higher and if there's a 3 in one (minidisplay to VGA, HDMI, DVI) that could do the same?

Thanks again for the info.

4. tillsbury macrumors 65816

No, VGA won't be able to drive the display to its maximum resolution. If the monitor requires dual-DVI then it's capable of higher than HD. The only other connector capable of the same resolutions as dual-DVI is Displayport.

Yes, the thunderbolt port on a mac can be used as a mini-displayport connector (some earlier Macs are only mini-displayport, not thunderbolt, but the connector is the same).

VGA is your last option. DVI is better, and will run HD. Dual-DVI or DP are the options you need. A cheaper monitor without DP will require the expensive connector. Might be worth considering swapping the monitor.