[Question] Final Cut Express

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ecalw001, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Ecalw001 macrumors newbie

I am wondering if it is possible to use final cut express to work on projects without any footage. basically like making an intro using a mix of sounds, images, cool effects, and maybe downloadable commonly used snippets of visual. Does the program offer the ability to do such a thing or is it solely for editing film. If my question is unclear please tell me.

2. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

FCE would work fine for that. If you want it to be extra snazzy, and you've got the time to learn it, try FCS.

3. Freeskier130 macrumors newbie

I don't personally own the software, but when I was at school, I was using the programs LiveType and Soundtrack combined with FCE for projects that sound similar to the ones you have in mind.

Those applications might only come with FCP though because the computers had FCP and FCE....maybe someone else can clear that up.

4. Ecalw001 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, i think the new final cut express has been altered to change it pricing to 200$ from the last years 300$. So correct me if im wrong but those extras were taken out. That is one of the reason i am asking this is because without extras like that it seems like the program is solely to edit film and not so much for amazing introductions and the such.

5. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

You can put whatever media you want in it, but don't expect much more from it that iMovie HD 6.

FCS is much better for your idea.

6. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

You kidding? Final Cut Pro is leagues more flexible than iMovie HD. The Final Cut Studio package would provide more programs that have specific functions, but it's most likely he'll be able to do everything he needs to in Final Cut Pro. The program's interface is geared toward editing video, but it can handle multiple tracks of audio just fine.

7. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Firstly, I was talking about FCE in the first sentence.

Secondly, FCS has Motion and Soundtrack, which would both be better than just using FCP.

8. Ecalw001 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, i am looking to start soft mainly with simple things such as what would be previews to something. Before i dive into anything big. Now as i see from apples website you have the choice of final cut express or final cut studio. Studio is far more than i need at this time. So i am wondering if express can do much. I do not have any footage or film to work with so i would be making mainly intros and stuff. as an example the name of something flying through space around planets and then exploding. No thats not something i would be doing but an example of what i would be looking for if it helps.

9. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

In that case, you'll want FCS and Shake. Apple doesn't sell Shake anymore (big mistake), so find it on Amazon or somewhere similar. You may want to throw in a 2.66 GHz eight-core Mac Pro, too, if you don't have a 2.66 GHz or better iMac.

What you want to do is actually more complex than you realize.

10. Ecalw001 thread starter macrumors newbie

sadly i think that was the answer i more expected / is looking for. I knew i could not do what i was looking for simply with that one program but i needed someone who know there stuff to assure me on it. Thanks for telling me :) I really appreciate all your help guys.